Re: strange Babyface problem (scrambled, distorted output and input sound)

i use logic. but i have the issue all the time...even when not using logic.

Yeah, same here... I notice the issue more when using Pro Tools, but that's only because I'm using Pro Tools a lot.  It happens outside of Pro Tools as well... I hope we figure this out soon!

MC wrote:

If you have the same issue then it would be helpful if you could verify the temporary fix of having TM FX closed.

Closing both TM, and USB Settings seems to have solved the issue.

Thanks,
Ken

Here is hope that the new driver 1.73 fixes the problems reported in this thread:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_173.zip

Please try it. Closing Settings and TM FX is not the solution as it seems not to be the culprit either, just triggering the error a bit earlier. More details later. The driver also includes the latest TotalMix FX 0.983.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nicely done!  I'm going to pull this down and install it now.  I have a decent-sized job this weekend so I should be able to really put it through its paces. 

Thanks!

Driver 1.73 has now been released. It includes a workaround for a bug that we reported to Apple, and seems to originate on their side. The error mentioned in this thread has been clearly fixed with this workaround, operation is now stable even under long-term conditions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

AMAZING.  And I meant to mention I installed 1.73 on the 6th and haven't had a problem yet.  Great work, guys!

I hate to say it, but the problem is happening again... the same fix works (toggling the sample rate), but nothing else seems to fix the issue.  It seems to happen when not in use for a while (such as just now, I'm working in Pro Tools, I went and made coffee, came back and it was stuttering/popping).  I just upgraded to 1.75 (from 1.73) in hopes that would help, but still nothing.  Anything else I should try at this point??

59 (edited by riccol 2012-09-17 19:51:11)

WOW!  what is the latest with this problem?

Asking because I was about to buy a Mac Mine and use my Babyface with it.

Any newer updates on this problem??

For me it's been so wishy washy... I had the error on the 3rd, didn't have it for a solid week, then had it twice more.  I have NO idea...

How did the story end? I'm having the exact same problems on my RME Babyface on a Windows system.
see here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25328

I am having the issue as well, sudden distortions sounding a lot like a bit crusher on all channels...

Windows 8.2, Babyface Hardware 223, Driver 1.166, Driver Date 16.11.2018.

It occurs during use of CuBase or under Win Audio. I do have a feeling, it happens more often, when Firefox is open, but that is just a guess. Today I am also sometimes getting sudden crackling sounds every now and then.

I am in deep trouble here...

You have a USB performance problem that has nothing to do with this old Mac OS related thread. The BF Pro manual tells you how to check USB on a Windows computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all,

I noticed last night that the output is emitting a humming noise at about 90hz, which I could only hear after I turned up the volume to a higher level than usual yesterday. The distortion occurs on both the main outputs and the headphone outputs. I don't have it with the inputs. does anyone know where this is coming from and how I can get it out.

I have several interfaces and have checked them all to make sure it is not the speakers or cables. None of the other interfaces have this problem, only the original babyface. I have been using this with the facurite saffire pro40 as a standalone via ADAT in/out to expand my inputs and outputs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

65 (edited by waedi 2023-09-12 10:56:43)

Sure the analog inputs are closed ? The gain is fully zero ?
If you have used a mic and forgot to reduce the gain (mic is disconnect from the Babyface) this can do what you describe.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

No the gain was completely down and the phamtom was also off. But the measurement mic was still plugged in, I have now disconnected the mic and the signal is now lower and not as strong, but it is still there, at about 180 hz I would say. And I have to turn the volume up more than half to hear it like before, but the distortion is still there. Is this normal with the babyface?

Also, every 3 minutes or so I hear a very strange noise that comes on and sounds like the aliens are trying to reach out to me.

No, not normal. My Babyfaces don't noise nor calling aliens.
Did you try a total Reset in Totalmix ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

No, not yet. Would a total reset change anything about the driver? It took me so long to get it working that I don't want to repeat the whole process again.

I just reset the total mixer but the distortion is still there and has now changed to this. I hope I can attach the audio below. It is louder now and went back to how it was before disconnecting the measurement mic.

couldn't attache the audio unfortunately.