Topic: ASIO vs WASAPI playback on ADI-2 PRO?

Hello,

this might be an unimportant and perhaps opinion based question, however, I would like to ask, would you have preferable choice of either ASIO or WASAPI on ADI-2 PRO?

Personally I always use ASIO for music playback, since it supports every mode I need and it is safely used in musical industry. However sometimes I see people asking about WASAPI and having problems with WASAPI... It just gets me thinking, why do they want to use the WASAPI mode, when ASIO seems to be the fitting solution for any scenario?

Thanks..

Re: ASIO vs WASAPI playback on ADI-2 PRO?

Some programs don't support ASIO, that simple. Else you indeed don't need WASAPI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-12-19 08:42:15)

Like i.e. Windows, therefore RME drivers offer WDM drivers and the standard speaker symbol in "Windows Sound" to offer a default audio device to the Operating System.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

WASAPI is perfect for Windows playback. No need for drivers (!), bitperfect, low latency. Perfect for any consumer setup I can imagine. Different story in a recording setup though, where asio is pretty much standard and the configuration options are really needed.

ramses, the whole point of WASAPI is that the mixer is NOT in its path, so it can work bit-perfect. See the Bit Test of the ADIs which works under both WASAPI and ASIO playback. BTW, the Bit Test in the latest DAC firmware is broken, will be fixed shortly.

joachim.herbert: 'no need for drivers' is a very misleading statement as it requires Class Compliant devices, and then the latest Windows 10. Until a short time ago Windows didn't even support UAC 2 correctly, and still does not fully.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ramses 2018-12-20 08:15:00)

Hi Matthias, thanks for the correction.

I was not sure myself as I do not use WASAPI since many many years
(as I have ASIO drivers and application which can use them)
and started yesterday a google search, but the results confused me.

It might have been the case that I read some things which were not about the WASAPI exclusive mode.

Now I found this page, explaining it better, shall somebody be interested.
It also explaines how to configure "exclusive mode" in Windows Sound Settings.

http://www.lavryengineering.com/wiki/index.php/WASAPI

I deleted my posting not to confuse others wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13