Topic: Ways to turn on and off the Babyface Pro

First question:
Is there a way to turn on and off the Babyface Pro, without connecting and disconnecting it to computer via USB cable?

I mean - I just want my Babyface Pro to stay connected to my PC via USB cable all the time, and to turn it on and off whenever I want, without touching the USB cable.

Second question:
Is the USB cable we get bundled with our Babyface Pro is just an ordinary USB 2.0 Type B cable?
Or does it has some speicial features?
I mean - Would any ordinary USB 2.0 Type B allow a computer to provide power to the Babyface Pro via USB bus power?

Re: Ways to turn on and off the Babyface Pro

The provided cable is low impedance for power, means it has better bus power support, and locks into the housing.

The BF Pro will switch off when the computer is configured to turn off the USB port power in standby state.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In your bios you should have an option called deep sleep.  You want to enable that.  That will cut all power from your PC when it is off.  It's buried in my bios. But I eventually found it.   I do wish Rme would have included an on off switch though.  Just in case.

RME Babyface Pro, Mac Mini M1 Big sur latest

MC wrote:

The BF Pro will switch off when the computer is configured to turn off the USB port power in standby state.

And how do I configure my PC to turn off the USB port power in standby state?
I have Windows 10.

My Babyface Pro, is connected 24/7, and I refuse to connect and disconnect the USB cable every now and then, I want a reasonable solution.

The worst thing, is that even when I turn off the whole PC, my Babyface Pro still gets power from the PC.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-12-19 16:12:34)

BIOS related it seems to me, a quick google search for "turn off USB port power in standby state" shows this:
https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D5 … uage=en_US

But in this thread there is also a reference to device manager. Maybe simply try the one or the other or both enabled or disabled. Configurable on the USB Hub. You need to identify which one is responsible for the USB port.

Hope this information leads you into the right direction.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

On a lot of the motherboards I used it is set by a jumper on the motherboard. You will have to read the manual of the motherboard for that.
Sometimes only 2 ports can be turned off with a jumper.
Sometimes only a few ports get power when the computer is off so do try different ports with the computer off.
If you buy a PCIe USB card it will probably power off with the computer off, unless it has a molex/power connector.
If it is laptop your only option is the bios and it will probably not have the option.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B … /HelpDesk/

The above link is my Motherboard(It's called "gaming motherboard", but it's fantastic for DAW computers, that's why I chose it, just bought this PC two month ago, and I ain't no gamer).

Can you tell me whether it's possible to make USB power to shut down whenever I shutdown the PC?
If it's possible, I'm going to contact technical support of my PC dealer, so they will tell me exactly how to do it, don't want to mess with the Bios by myself.

If I could just make my Babyface Pro to turn on and off with my PC, it will be good enough, I would say it would even be optimal solution for me, because I actually prefer my Babyface Pro to turn on and off automatically with my PC, rather than manually turn on and off my Babyface Pro.

AFAICS no option, but... I have a power switch to turn of the power to my PC (in fact whole studio is on 3 switches). That would of course also switch of the babyface power. Easy non technical solution and it also cuts the power to your PC PSU. Or just use the switch on the PC PSU

Vincent, Amsterdam

9 (edited by hag01 2018-12-19 19:27:42)

Yeah but I believe there is a reason why the PSU stays on by default when the PC turned off.

Like, the PSU power button is on the back of the PC in the right bottom corner, and I can't really get there without significant effort, and I only turn it off when I have to disconnect the whole PC and take it to laboratory or something like that...

10 (edited by ramses 2018-12-19 19:31:08)

If you want to turn off everything ... it has a Power Switch:

https://www.brennenstuhl.com/de-DE/prod … vv-f-3g1-5

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hag01 wrote:

Yeah but I believe there is a reason why the PSU stays on by default when the PC turned off.

Like, the PSU power button is on the back of the PC in the right bottom corner, and I can't really get there without significant effort, and I only turn it off when I have to disconnect the whole PC and take it to laboratory or something like that...

I have done this for years and years with a master power switch. Saves power and ware on the PSU. Otherwise there would not even be an off switch on the PSU.

Vincent, Amsterdam

OK fellows, I've found the solution by myself yesterday at night, by Google research and a bit of trial and error.

I certainly didn't had the patience to wait until today, then call to technical support and who knows when someone would have answer me, and then who knows whether they even would have manage to fix the issue(those technical support guys, of those computer stores, are not always such experts...).

In case it will help someone someday:
Go to Bios,
Then go to ErP Ready,
Select Enable(S4+S5).

ErP Ready was on Disabled state before, and Enable S5 didn't done the trick, just Enable(S4+S5).