Topic: sudden crackle in FF800

Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't want to spend hours looking through threads. I was cranking right along on a project with my Fireface 800, and suddenly the mix skewed. Then I got an audible crackle in the software inputs. The level was visible in TotalMix, and most dominate on Channels 1&2. Downloaded latest drivers. PC (win10) failed to recognize the RME. Downloaded legacy drivers for the 1394 card. Got the RME back up, but still has the noise. Oddly enough the signal from analog inputs is unaffected. My computer is a Puurfect Audio custom build about 8 years old. Got the RME at the same time. No internal sound card in the PC. When I route, say, a YouTube video through the RME, the crackle is present. I'm chasing my tail over here, scouring the internet trying to find issues matching mine. Is it the RME, the 1394 card, the PC, or the cable itself? Can't get a cable locally or would have tried the obvious. I have one ordered but it will be a couple days. I'm just taking a wild stab here to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. I've even been a click away from ordering an 802, but this old gal has been a solid work horse, and the suddenness of the problem has me confused. Help! (if you can!) and thanks

Re: sudden crackle in FF800

Such old units usually get a problem with the internal power supply. We will find out when the unit is sent in for service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME