Topic: Multitrack Recording (ADAT) Babyface Pro + Ferrofish A32

Hey guys,

With the intention to record several tracks simultaneously I bought the babyface pro in combination with the ferrofish a32 converter. I connect the two devices via ADAT.

Unfortunately I found out afterwards that I can only record 4 tracks at the same time. I should have asked before.

With which RME interface can I theoretically record 32 I/O via ADAT?

MADI would also be a solution, bu it is mostly too expensive.

Many thanks in advance!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-12-21 15:19:33)

Re: Multitrack Recording (ADAT) Babyface Pro + Ferrofish A32

ADAT = 8 channels @44.1/48 kHz and per multiplexing of channels: 4 channels @88.2/96 and 2 ch. @176.4/192kHz

You would require at least a recording interface with 4 ADAT IN and 4 ADAT OUT channels:
- Digiface USB (USB2) €359
- RayDAT (PCIe)          €649

Alternatively there are some not so expensive MADI interfaces available, which is the best choice according to the amount of channels:
- MADIface USB (USB2)   €859
- MADIface Pro (USB2)    €1199
- MADIface XT (USB3, external PCIe, Adapter auf TB) €2292  (USB2 compatible, 70 channels max)
- HDSPe MADI (PCIe)      € 1449
- HDSPe MADI FX (PCIe) € 1549 (FX chip on-board, 3 MADI Busses, redundancy features, performance optimizations)
- UFX+ (USB3/TB)   €2395 (USB2 compatible, without MADI)

TBH, I wouldn't use smth ADAT based anymore if your device supports already MADI.
With MADI you require only one cable (!) that can be as long as you need up to 2km.
And MADI has 64 channes @44.1/48 !!
So, if you use higher samlpe frequencies like 96 kHz, then MADI can still support your 32 channels IN and OUT !!!
With ADAT you have a loss in the number of channels much earlier.
RayDAT = 4 ADAT ports = 32 channels ... MADI has the double amount, 64 channels.

Use OM4 fibre optic patch cable, because this is also suitable for network connections, then you can stay with 1 cable type.

I think the MADIface Pro would be the a nice cost conservative option for you, if you do not require Mic inputs.

Shall you require some Mic Inputs (which could i.e. be nice for talkback or recordings (vocals, Instr, ..)
then the best solution is to get the UFX+ which is very flexible and has many features on top:
- i.e. Durec and advanced analog section (superior to the old flagship UFX)
- you can connect some more Mic preamps if needed via ADAT or MADI

Here a blog article which I wrote where you can see what advantages the UFX+ has over the old flagship interface UFX:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

Another thing that I would like to highlight is the HDSPe MADI FX card, which is a very nice card,
the only one with a FX chip on board. It has very nice redundancy features and a driver,
which only takes system resources for the amount of channels that you actually use.
So the driver is very resource optimized. You can read more about the card in this blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ct-Review/

I personally think that the UFX+ would be best choice for you of all, optionally get an ARC USB on top.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Digiface USB and HDSPe Raydat.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thank you!

I think I will go with some new MADI device.
I have the chance to get the RME HDSPe MADI Card for 780€ or the Madiface USB für 500€.
Is the RME HDSPe MADI Card worth the 280€ more?
I mostly work with analog synthesizers and some send and return with external effects.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-12-22 19:28:29)

What other ports do you require ?
Eventually phones ? Please note: ADI-8 QS and MADIface USB don't have phones outputs.
This might be handy if you work i.e. late and want to record silent.

You could also think of connecting an ADI-2 Pro FS later via AES to the ADI8-QS AES ports
and route it to different MADI ports than 1..8.

Other question: do you have devices which use different reference levels (consumer, studio) ?
The ADI-8 QS supports 4 reference levels, but you can set the reference level only for all 8 ports
(the ADI-8 QS is a typical studio device 8 IN and OUT).

So for optimum settings for cosumer and studio devices you might require two ADI-8 QS, one for -10dB
and one for +4 or more.

Therefore it could be an advantage to operate this unit together with i.e. an UFX+, where you can set
the reference level of each of the analog ports individually 2 different for inputs, 3 different for outputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Due to the financial circumstances I have to think smaller at the moment. In the future I will expand my equipment and will come back to your recommendations.
At first only the options MadiFace USB or RME HDSPe MADI Card remain.
My Ferrofish has a phone output, that's no problem.