1 (edited by arthurjs 2018-12-26 13:32:52)

Topic: AK 4493 chip?

Hello. Short/stupid question.

Just an enthusiast saving up for the ADI-2 DAC.

Is there any point for RME to upgrade the 4490 chip to the 4493?
I believe it is pin-identical? Is there any merit to using it?

There's some Chinese lower-cost devices using it already and I wonder if there's any performance gain.

Thank you for your insight. All the best,
Arthur

Re: AK 4493 chip?

It is not 'pin identical'. And you won't notice the difference. But you will notice the difference between any 'Chinese low-cost devices' and an ADI-2 DAC, no matter what chip the others use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is not 'pin identical'. And you won't notice the difference. But you will notice the difference between any 'Chinese low-cost devices' and an ADI-2 DAC, no matter what chip the others use.

your device has 100x times the features for one thing, it's no competition really.
sorry to hear it is not pin compatible sorry for the confusion

It's not only the features. We give you better real-world dynamic and signal to noise and distortion values than all those no name products. We develop and design analog and digital circuits that extract the best out of the DAC chip as possible, in as many applications as possible. That makes it easy for you to use it and don't start thinking about if there is a way to further improve it. Different power supplies? USB cleaner? External headphone amp? Forget it. Just be happy with one single unit that does it all, with specs where there is no reason at all to further improve them.

Hmmm, there must have been some sales pitch formula in the Glühwein... smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by arthurjs 2018-12-26 14:28:23)

MC wrote:

It's not only the features. We give you better real-world dynamic and signal to noise and distortion values than all those no name products. We develop and design analog and digital circuits that extract the best out of the DAC chip as possible, in as many applications as possible. That makes it easy for you to use it and don't start thinking about if there is a way to further improve it. Different power supplies? USB cleaner? External headphone amp? Forget it. Just be happy with one single unit that does it all, with specs where there is no reason at all to further improve them.

Hmmm, there must have been some sales pitch formula in the Glühwein... smile

I know your USB, spdif and optical is perfect, from experience smile which is why I want one of my own.

Great explanation. I just find it odd that AKM even makes something like the AK4497/AK4499(super new right?) when you squeeze that much out of the 4490 chip. I thought the 4493 was basically the same with minor improvements which made me create the topic.

Thank you for explaining

Yes, the 4493 is a slightly improved version, but it is not fully compatible. The 4497/99 are forced replies to the ESS chips and their marketing efforts and success. But the 4497 did not cut the cake for various reasons. The new 4499 is much more promising due to its four channel architecture, and might get more popular than the 4497...in the long term, so far this chip is not yet available.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, the 4493 is a slightly improved version, but it is not fully compatible. The 4497/99 are forced replies to the ESS chips and their marketing efforts and success. But the 4497 did not cut the cake for various reasons. The new 4499 is much more promising due to its four channel architecture, and might get more popular than the 4497...in the long term, so far this chip is not yet available.

A theoretical ADI-4 Pro would be pretty awesome in a similar form factor using the 4499. Having the TS outputs on the back being independent TRS jacks, and with both headphone jacks on the front being separate channels (from the rear outputs) would be useful. This would also allow 7.1 analogue monitoring.

From an engineering standpoint, I'd also love to see what you and your engineers can do with such a chip. The single 4490 in the DAC easily bests many dual ESS9038Pro implementations, and I bet squeezing everything out of two 4499s would likely be some of the best DA money can buy.

8 (edited by par.linden 2019-03-04 16:19:41)

MC wrote:

The 4497/99 are forced replies to the ESS chips and their marketing efforts and success. But the 4497 did not cut the cake for various reasons.

I was a bit curious when I read this. In what way was/is the 4497  not able to cut the cake? Not because I think ADI-2 would be better due to every new generation of the chip. But it makes me wonder. I have read somewhere some criticism of the AKMs "Velvet Sound", claiming it colours the sound. But I suppose this is a feature in both 4490, 93 and 97.