1 (edited by bat 2019-01-01 15:15:21)

Topic: Use of flagship converters and monitors with his own DSP and DACS

Happy new year.

I’m wandering if the use of a sophisticated DAC like ADI-2 PRO and monitors with onboard DSP (and then DAC), have sense.
In my particular case the Genelec 8320, purchased prior the ADI-2) have no AES inputs but are governable via GLM software, so I guess they have an internal DAC, but without the possibility of avoid the double conversion D-A-D-A, since there is not a digital input.
All this kind of monitors seems to reach their best performance when connected via AES.
Also the manufacturers suggest to use this kind of connection.
However the double conversion bugs me.

Thanks

Re: Use of flagship converters and monitors with his own DSP and DACS

I also have Genelec's (8330+7650) in my office setup and I also feel that my ADI-2 Pro is not used to it's full extent at all, since I don't listen with headphones that often. You absolutelly want to feed digital active speakers with DSP room correction digital signal all the way, so that there are no unnecessary AD-DA conversions. I use my ADI-2 to control the volume though I know it's not the optimal solution.

Unfortunately is impossible to feed my 8320 digitally and anyway I would feel uncomfortable using a 1500€ box for a service that a 100€ toslink/AES format converter can do.
Moreover Genelec SAM monitors works at 96Khz (also correction room software like Sonarworks) while RME is justly proud of ADI-2 PRO performance until 768Khz, DSD etc.
I often listen to uncompressed files in HR, like those of Berliner Philarmoniker at 192/24 and with ADI and AKG K812 I spend hours of pure pleasure.
When my “gross domestic product” will allow me I think I’ll go to a full analog monitor system, moving DSP monitors to others purposes like TV.

In the nearfield you could try to use the Genelecs wihout GLM room correction software
you might have enough benefits from the D/A conversion quality of the ADI-2 Pro alone.

Additionally you get best quality with phones if you want to cross check with phones.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If the GLM software is off then the conversion is bypassed on Genelecs?  Do you use Digital or analog as a nearfield main monitors?

My RL906D support AES, but since the UFX+ for my ears the RME D/A converter sound better
and since the ADI-2 Pro much better in terms of sound and the presentation of a "stage".
So to say presentation of room information and positioning of voices and instruments on this stage.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So you feed your monitors in analog way cause your model support both AES and XLR analog, I guess.
This is exactly what I wish in my monitor. The possibility of choice.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-01-02 19:00:21)

It's more like this:

At the time of purchase decision I had an UFX and a RayDAT.
I thought it's a good idea to buy the digital version of my monitors for several use cases:
1. I thought the quality of D/A conversion could be better compared to UFX
2. To be able to connect the monitor directly to my RayDAT via AES (if the UFX is out of the house)

Meanwhile I see, that the quality of more modern D/A converters like those in the UFX+/II
and especially in the ADI-2 Pro FS became and sound much better.

I would not spend the money anymore for digital boxes and full relay on an external D/A converter like the ADI-2 Pro.

There is IMHO no merit to use internal D/A converters in active monitors, as the ADI-2 Pro will outperform them.

It's not only the pure D/A chip alone which makes the good sound, it's the whole package (multilayer board design, components, layout, etc). The quality is the sum of quality of every single component.
And it's very much unlikely that you find this quality (in terms of build/design) inside of an active monitor.

9 (edited by bat 2019-01-06 10:15:14)

I agree with you. A monitor with electronic inside born with an obsolescence inside. An analog pair of good monitors could be with you for decades, like a good headphones. BTW Genelec is still selling the "classic line" without any DAC. So is my fault. In my particular case, 8320 without digital input but with an internal 48/24 DAC, I can say that is quite easy to misunderstand.