1 (edited by Slappy 2019-01-01 08:50:45)

Topic: EQ Feature Request

Thanks for a fantastic product - I've been using the DAC version for a couple of weeks now, and quite frankly this is here to stay. It does everything I need it to, and then some, plus it fits my use case perfectly.

There is however one thing that I, and perhaps others, would find immensely useful and it relates to the PEQ. Setting the EQ is a rather clunky and laborious affair, although I cannot see how it could be better implemented given just the three rotary encoders.

So my idea was to be able to use an audio plug-in (AU, VST) version of the ADI-2's EQ, whereby we could use the mouse to quickly set up the EQ and then send those parameters to the ADI-2. This in my opinion would allow for greater interactivity and more fluid adjustment.

I don't know how much of an undertaking that would be, or whether you would see that functionality as "within scope" for this product, but it would certainly be a very very nice feature to have from my point of view.

Either way the only way this device will leave my possession is when it's torn from my cold dead hands.

Re: EQ Feature Request

Thanks for the nice words. Your statement 'Setting the EQ is a rather clunky and laborious affair' is not correct as such. IMHO you forgot to mention the context, and that is - if I read your post correctly - that you need to put externally generated curves into the unit. So the problem is how to emulate a given frequency response with 5 bands of PEQ. A tool to do that is found in REW (and maybe some others). It gives you the parameters (gain, frequency, Q) to match a given curve. We will not do something like this, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm agree with Slappy.
ADI-2 Pro/DAC sounds fabulous.
But setting the EQ is a rather clunky and laborious affair.... Yes it's true (I'm real user... I have 2 ADI-2 Pro units).

A software that could control the internal ADI-2 Pro/DAC EQ parameters (gain, slope, frequency)
would be very useful.

RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro FS R, UCX

dxmat wrote:

.... A software that could control the internal ADI-2 Pro/DAC EQ parameters (gain, slope, frequency) would be very useful.

I also agree with this request. It would save a lot of time handling PEQ. And I would pay extra for this feature.

Mac Mini 2018, Apple Thunderbolt Display, macOS Monterey, ADI-2 DAC V.1, Hifiman Arya V.1

+1

It would be nice to implement this also for the configuration of the device. Once there is a possibility
to send config data back and forth via USB, then this should be so generic, that it could be used for both.

- Edit PEQ and device configuration
- Store it to either PC or Device Slot "x".
- Backup and restore all PEQ and config settings

I would also pay for it (both), if this would boost the progress.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

dxmat and nico.ch - so far you gave zero clue what your problem with the PEQ is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Setting and changing the eq from the panel is not very intuitive.
Having a lot of steps to access the many parameters from the UI isn't as functional as having a dedicated desktop software,
so being able to access the parameters of the eq from a simple software would be a good thing.
You have a work of art called TotalMix!
Why not create similar software that allows to control the internal parameters
of the ADI-2 like in UCX and similar?

That doesn't convince me. Iit sounds more like you set the EQ via the menu entries (they are there for technical reasons, but we don't expect anyone to use them) instead of dialing-in all three parameters per band directly in the graphics screen, which is super-quick and easy, and usually requires only 5 button pushes to set all 5 bands.

That is a different topic than the one from Ramses. I understand that a simple copy/paste tool and 'backup' for 20 EQ presets would be nice to have, b ut there is no essential problem to handle these as it is. A software tool (means software communication via a CC-based USB bus) was never planned for this device.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Iit sounds more like you set the EQ via the menu entries (they are there for technical reasons, but we don't expect anyone to use them) instead of dialing-in all three parameters per band directly in the graphics screen

Nope. I do not use EQ preset. Editing all 3 parameters per band into the ADI graphical screen is not intuitive.
Power is nothing without control.
Too bad.
A simple software could have been a great added value to an excellent DAC.

> Editing all 3 parameters per band into the ADI graphical screen is not intuitive.

So what? After you read that volume controls gain, 1 frequency and 2 Q, and every push on Volume steps through the bands,  it becomes 'intuitive' immediately. That's definitely not a steep learning curve.

And going back to your TotalMix FX example: In there you have to rotate the buttons for gain, frequency and Q, for every single band. Where is the difference?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm perfectly able to set ADI-2 EQ from the panel. It takes a lot of clicks and turns to set the EQ from the ADI-2 panel, it's not very functional but whithout any PC it works anyway, and it's OK for small size device.
For advanced/studio users (almost all DAW users) it would have been awesome (quicker and much more functional) to have the chance to set the EQ from a dedicated software.