Topic: DIM disabled after restart, vol as with DIM enabled

When shutting the unit off with DIM enabled and subsequently turning the unit on again, DIM is disabled but the volume is set where it was when DIM was enabled before shutting the unit off, i.e. 20 dB lower.

Firmware is latest publicly available revision. Unit is DAC.

2 (edited by N00b 2019-01-11 14:27:16)

Re: DIM disabled after restart, vol as with DIM enabled

jiw wrote:

When shutting the unit off with DIM enabled and subsequently turning the unit on again, DIM is disabled but the volume is set where it was when DIM was enabled before shutting the unit off, i.e. 20 dB lower.

Firmware is latest publicly available revision. Unit is DAC.

Yes... The same if you lower the volume when "Dim" is enabled: the volume stay low and the function is off.

For me it is logical and safe, depending on how you use the ADI: if you turn on the unit and forget the function is activated, it is dangerous. You can for example raise the volume on the amp because the level is low, and then a phone call: you press "Dim", your ears and speakers are dead and your mother in law has an heart attack behind her phone big_smile Too bad for your ears and speakers.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

Yes... The same if you lower the volume when "Dim" is enabled: the volume stay low and the function is off.

For me the function stays enabled when changing volume.

For a previous firmware revision (DAC 23 or 24, IIRC), it behaved as you describe.

N00b wrote:

For me it is logical and safe, depending on how you use the ADI: if you turn on the unit and forget the function is activated, it is dangerous. You can for example raise the volume on the amp because the level is low, and then a phone call: you press "Dim", your ears and speakers are dead and your mother in law has an heart attack behind her phone big_smile

That makes sense. Turning the volume up 20 dB is much less of an inconvenience. 

N00b wrote:

Too bad for your ears and speakers.

Not too bad for the mother in law, it seems. yikes

4 (edited by jiw 2019-01-11 16:13:03)

According to the latest revision of the manual (p. 25), DIM should be disabled when the volume is changed.

As described above, this does not happen on my unit with the latest firmware.

EDIT. Grammar

5 (edited by N00b 2019-01-11 15:25:55)

jiw wrote:

According to the latest revision of the handbook (p. 25), DIM should be disabled when the volume is changed.

As described above, this does not happen on my unit with the latest firmware.

Last time I've checked (it was not with the last firmware):
- Mode "Dim" enabled. -20 dB. You crank the volume down: -20.5 dB and Dim is off.
- Mode "Dim" enabled. -20 dB. You crank the volume up: 0.5 dB and Dim is off.

I will test the behaviour of the last firmware this week-end.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

6 (edited by jiw 2019-01-11 16:13:52)

From the manual (p. 25) (emphasis mine):
"Dim is a remote only function with a fixed volume attenuation of 20 dB. Dim is deactivated also
by changing the volume, even directly at the unit. "

Since Dim can be enabled/disabled directly from the unit via the Remap Keys function with the latest firmware, the manual seems to be outdated on this topic.

EDIT. Grammar

Hello, can't find the DIM option on the remap keys of my Adi2pro.
Is the DIM only Adi2dac ?
Thank you.

Yes, DAC only. Read post 6, it was coupled to the remote.

But thanks for this discussion. It turned out that the basic functionality, disabling Mute and Dim as soon as the volume is changed, no longer works. This will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No way to have the DIM on the adi2pro ?
Mute, Mono and dim are the basics for a pro monitor controller no ?

The ADI-2 Pro is now on the market for 2.5 years. You're the first one to mention DIM is needed. Can't be that important, it seems. There is a volume knob and Mute, which seems sufficient for most. And adding DIM is not as easy as it seems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm familiar with the use of Dim functionality as it is on every desk or monitor controller.
Fortunately there's a knob, you're right, but going from -20 to -50db is common in mix situation, and i need to turn 3 times the knob to do that. And 3 more to go back to -20, it's not a big deal, but that's why i'm asking.

Solution could be to cascade the ADI-2 Pro behind a RME recording interface.
Cheapest solutions: Digiface USB or HDSPe AIO or RayDAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13