1 (edited by jumunius 2019-01-22 00:25:12)

Topic: RME FF400 not recognized on my new MacBookPro / Mojave

I've upgraded to a new MacBook Pro from an old Mac and was not able to use Migration Assistant. So I installed driver_fw_mac_335. After a couple attempts at installation, restarts, and power cycles of my FF400, Mac still doesn't see FF. My Host light on FF is red, and my available sound output options are MacBook Pro Speakers, USB Audio Codec, Apple TV. I also checked Security & Privacy to confirm that no drivers are blocked.

Any ideas of what I might try? Thanks!

Hardware:
MBP is connected to my Fireface as follows:
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Thunderbolt to FireWire (800) adapter
Firewire 800 to FireWire 400 adapter
RME Fireface 400 (on EXT power with a brand new power supply purchased through B&H Photo)

System info:
Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Re: RME FF400 not recognized on my new MacBookPro / Mojave

You might need to enable sound input in System preferences/Secuity & privacy...

I think Apple should put up a warning as this new feature seems to trap a lot of people.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

you have to be pretty fast with Security&Privacy, when i did migration it wanted me to enable unsigned drivers before the migration even completed.
So try to remove the driver, install, before restarting immediately check security & privacy, restart, then immediately check security & privacy.

I use a similar adapter chain, except I use a FW800-FW400 cable directly.

Works fine here on a 2018 13", also did on a 2018 15" (Returned) and also on a 2018 Mini.

4 (edited by jumunius 2019-01-24 13:45:42)

Thanks Cyrano and Ploki. However a couple further questions:

1) How do I uninstall the driver? I don't see where it's located, and there's no uninstall option bundled with the installer.

2) In terms of enabling the sound input on Security and privacy, the only relevant option I see here is Microphone, and within Microphone I see options to enable Adobe Audition and Logic Pro (both as expected) but no other options. I assume if I un-install and re-install my drivers I will see a FF option within the first 30 minutes?

This is really frustrating honestly -- Apple has made their system so secure and private that it is barely usable for serious audio work.

[Edited to remove unwarranted griping at RME.)

You don't need an online video smile

this file is next to driver when you download them:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/AG_RM … ion_EN.pdf

Apparently removing the driver isn't necessary anyway; just reinstall.

Also, while this is annoying yes, it's about the only downside of RME right now and you need to do it once

Thanks Ploki, I agree that I don't need a video. I was really just looking for something like that PDF and somehow didn't see it at anywhere at their site. [For anyone looking for this, it doesn't download in the zip file, it can be found just below the driver download link, "for High Sierra installations" -- I think I ignored it because I was installing on Mojave, but should have opened it.]

So I think I was being unfair to take a swipe at them over this -- my FF has been running well for about 10 years after all. Thanks for your patience.

However, unfortunately, just reinstalling the drivers isn't working for me -- no box reappears. I suppose I'll try contacting RME support directly.

There's also a possibility that the card isn't detected, can you check in the "system report" under thunderbolt devices?

Sure, this seems like the relevant part. I suppose it sees the adapter at least, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to report.

Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter:

Vendor Name:    Apple Inc.
  Device Name:    Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
  Vendor ID:    0x1
  Device ID:    0x8004
  Device Revision:    0x1
  UID:    0x0001000301FCBC00
  Apple Serial Number:    DTN80130697F494AA
  Route String:    1
  Firmware Version:    5.6
  Port (Upstream):
  Link Status:    0x2
  Speed:    Up to 10 Gb/s x1
  Port Micro Firmware Version:    0.0.17

looks good. hmm

now I'm completely out of ideas

Dang. Well, valiant effort, thanks. I hope RME support can offer some advice.