Topic: Connecting 2 Fireface 800 units to Digiface USB

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

I am moving away from firewire for various reasons and, rather than replace my two Fireface 800s, I was hoping to send ADAT out of each to a Digiface in order to connect via USB. Before I purchase a Digiface, I'm wondering if this is feasible?

I am unclear how the cabling and communication with the Digiface would work and how the clock would be connected as well.

Thank you,
Court

Re: Connecting 2 Fireface 800 units to Digiface USB

It is pretty simple. Both units need adat in and out. The digiface will be master and the Firefaces will be clocked to adat in. No wordclock needed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Is there any additional setup required to ensure that the Fireface knows to send out the signal via ADAT? Or does it simply know that whatever is coming in to analog input one would send out of ADAT channel one once converted?

I ask because i want to make sure that this does not require the fireface to be connected via firewire so total mix can communicate with it.

Thank you again for your help!
Court

Of course you need to configure proper routing on all devices. FF800 supports standalone capabilities, but if you want to reconfigure something then you need Firewire again.
Ie if you map mic inputs to ADAT and need different gain setting.
Consider that it's potentially much easier having only to deal with one device from operational perspective.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I see, that makes sense. I appreciate the info.

If i were to replace one fireface with a fireface ufx, could i connect the two via firewire then connect to the PC via USB and control both that way?

6 (edited by ramses 2019-01-25 22:52:05)

USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt connections are only between recording device and PC.
You would have the same situation.
UFX connect to PC via USB and then one or two FF800 connected via ADAT to the UFX in standalone mode.
But you would require to connect each of the FF800 to the PC as well to be able to configure or modify the routing.

You could connect two UFXII via USB, clock sync with ADAT, AES or WC and then use same ASIO buffersize.
But each unit would still have it's own instance of TM FX where it wouldnt be possible to create monitor mixes
across those instances, TM FX routing works only within one TM FX instance.
But you could route using the DAW ...

A better solution might be a combination of UFXII and Octmic XTC and to integrate the XTC as so called AUX device.
Then you can control the most important channel settings incl. Mic gain within the TM FX instance of the UFXII via MIDI.

Ideal is the combination of UFX+ and Octamic XTC via MADI, then you can use MIDI over MADI and then you have only one optical fiber cable that can even be 2km long between each of the up to 8 devices in such a MADI ring. And each of the devices is remote controllable as AUX device from this one TM FX instance.
Other advantage, also these channel settings can be stored digitally in snapshots.
This saves MIDI cabling, remote control via MIDI over MADI.
Other advantage, at higher sample rates like 96 kHz you still have 32 MADI channels, so no loss of the amount of channels by multiplexing like this is easily the case with ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13