Topic: Just a few suggestions for ADI-2 DAC

Hello, I'm new to RME products, and I really love the ADI-2 DAC, it has amazing performance and whips the floor with my previous equipment that was more expensive, but after using it for a few months I do have a few niggles with it, and suggestions on how to fix them and make the unit a bit better.
First there isn't a quick way to mute the sound on the unit it self (without remote control) and I don't think that push in function on volume knob is used for anything, it would be nice if I could just push in the volume knob to mute the sound. And speaking of the push in encoders, menu scrolling feels clunky and awkward, I would greatly appreciate the option to choose if I want to use volume knob to scroll thru menus. I understand why volume knob is configured to always control the volume, but I think that a lot of people wouldn't mind loosing volume control when they are in menus if it means easier scrolling.
I would also appreciate if I could change the meter color to something warmer like amber when I just want to listen to music after work, green and cyan are a bit hard on the eyes, and more color options in general would be a good thing especially for HI-FI users.
I hope you guys could implement some of the things in a new firmware or new products.

Re: Just a few suggestions for ADI-2 DAC

Also it would be convenient if we could assign different functions to bass and treble knobs, I never use tone controls, but I use different mono modes and crosfeed settings all the time, it would be handy if I could just assign them to bass/treble knobs.

> First there isn't a quick way to mute the sound on the unit it self (without remote control) and I don't think that push in function on volume knob is used for anything

That's both not correct. Pushing the volume knob is used by most users to switch between rear (speakers) and phones. It also steps through the bands in the EQ. Mute is easily accessible either by remap function keys or a push on VOL and then on encoder 1.

Volume: We see it as crucial safety feature to be able to (nearly) always turn down the volume quickly. Also you might have missed that scrolling by continuous pushing encoder 1 and 2 has been made faster in the last firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

>Pushing the volume knob is used by most users to switch between rear (speakers) and phones. It also steps through the bands in the EQ.
Oh, ok. I didn't know that, I feed everything via XLR (active near field monitors, passive far field monitors, and I have separate headphone amp) and my studio has pretty good acoustics so there isn't a need for EQ. But I don't get "push on VOL and then on encoder 1." thing, was it implemented in the latest firmware (I don't update firmware often because I don't have internet in my studio)?
>Volume: We see it as crucial safety feature to be able to (nearly) always turn down the volume quickly
Like I said, I completely understand that, but I would still appreciate a togglable option.

>  I didn't know that, I feed everything via XLR (active near field monitors, passive far field monitors, and I have separate headphone amp)

Well, if you don't use the exciting phones amp in the DAC then there is your Mute button that you were looking for...

> But I don't get "push on VOL and then on encoder 1."

Please read manual chapter 11.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME