Topic: No MIDI with Fireface UCX

I've recently upgraded from the Babyface to the Foreface ucx

All of a sudden I'm not getting any MIDI in pro tools. I cant even get a sound with a virtual instrument track. It's only hearing audio.

I'm using a yamaha motif xs8. I have the midi in/out cables to the correct out/in cable from the fireface. I'm using pro tools 11

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Re: No MIDI with Fireface UCX

What about delivering required information to get the full picture ? wink

Do you use latest drivers and firmware ?
Or in other words .. which firmware / driver version is in use ?
Which OS / Version do you use ?

Can you exclude Protools for a moment an look whether MIDI works at all ?
You will surely find other applications that are capable of sending MIDI to your keyboard using the RME driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm using windows 10 and as soon as I hooked everything I updated to the latest driver. How can I test the midi?

4 (edited by ramses 2019-02-02 13:29:00)

ozzlvlosis wrote:

I'm using windows 10 and as soon as I hooked everything I updated to the latest driver. How can I test the midi?

Sorry, but everybody tends to says "latest drivers/firmware", even if taking wrong driver etc ...
To be really sure it's simply required to explicitely mention firmware and driver version.

Also in regards to OS ... "Windows 10" is no version standard as "Windows 7 SP1".
Win 10 is a "moving target" being updated frequently since years at least twice a year,
last known versions are: 1709, 1803 or 1809 ..
And each of these versions can have problems of their own.

So please be so kind and take the time to deliver complete information to all relevant information.

Only this way other people with equal or similar setup can contribute and it helps people in the future
to have all relevant information best in the start post to easier solve similar problems.

Please google how you can best play MIDI files in Windows 10.

When I used a Keyboard in the past (long ago) I had to perform 2 things under Windows
- Getting MIDI mapper to be able to select the correct midi port (unfortunately Microsoft deleted the possibility in the OS)
- Microsoft Media Player should be able to play MIDI to a MIDI port

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Double check if midi in and out are not swapped..

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Tried MIDI OX. Nothing is registering. I'm starting to think it's either a problem with the midi cables or ports

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803

Rme Driver version 1.0 36.0

ozzlvlosis wrote:

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803

Rme Driver version 1.0 36.0

1.0 space 36.0 ?? Very unusual, from where did you get this number ?

Latest driver versions according to driver download page:
- USB driver_usb_win_1166.zip
- Fw   driver_fw_win_3124.zip

You also did not mention the Firmware Version.

Do you use USB or Firewire to connect your device to the PC ?

No that was obv supposed to be a .

Usb

Windows message said current driver is good but I'm gonna download the latest from the rme website.

Seems more like a Motif problem than the interface but I'll see what happens when I restart

11 (edited by ramses 2019-02-04 08:17:44)

OK so USB driver.

The RME driver is not being updated by Windows update, Microsoft doesn't deliver any RME drivers.

Rather than in device manager I think the best place to look for driver version is in the
"RME driver settings dialog", you can see screenshots of this in the manual.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ucx_d.pdf
Chapter 7.1 page 13, see screenshot on this page. There is a TAB "About" where you find this kind of information.

The icon of the RME driver settings dialog you cam find on your Windows desktop in the info area
(bottom right) where all the other info icons are about network, virus scanner, etc.

12 (edited by ozzlvlosis 2019-02-09 20:55:37)

Seems like the problem was as I suspected....bad midi cables. I can now hear and record with midi and instrument tracks. Of course now the new problem is is that in song mode on my motif, I'm able to hear notes I play but the fireface isnt registering any audio when I play a recorded song from my motif