Topic: Can’t update firmware on Fireface UFX

Hey, I’m hoping for some help here as I’m having no luck updating the firmware on my Fireface UFX.
I use it and an octamic 2 as my recording interface. I'm connecting to macOS Mojave with usb so I downloaded the newest driver (v3.14) and flash tool.
The driver has no problem installing and recognising my device serial number (in Fireface USB Settings) but for some reason the flash tool won't update the firmware despite it recognising the need for an update.

I've tried:
pressing update

selecting each list individually and pressing update

selecting Flash All and pressing update

uninstalling all drivers and the flash tool
and reinstalling

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Re: Can’t update firmware on Fireface UFX

What is the exact error message? Screenshot available?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Actually I'm not getting any error message.

yes i have an image of the flash tool screen and the settings screen together.

[img]IMG_8055.JPG[/img]

I'm not sure how to upload an image here??

liamjayes wrote:

I'm not sure how to upload an image here??

copy it to cloud (ie dropbox) and post the link here surrounded by the img tags.
If dropbox then change at the end of the URL: "dl=0" to "dl=1",
because then the image is directly loaded/displayed if somebody reads this thread.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hko6mi3r52a5n … 5.JPG?dl=0

thanks did this work?

The screenshot shows impossible things: Unit set to 32 kHz internal clock while 48 kHz SPDIF In is in Sync.

Also the flash tool cannot read the DSP, FW and CC version, which would explain why the flashing process doesn't start.

You should try to update the UFX on a different computer. So far it looks like your UFX is defective. Did you ever check the error display as explained here:?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25810

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, I'll look in to all those suggestions!
no I didnt see that one

So I found no difference trying the update on another computer.

Regarding checking the error display, how is that performed? I haven't found anything in my user guide about a hardware and diagnostic check on the units display.

I'm not sure why the UFX is set at 32khz. I always had th UFX and the OctaMic 2 synced at 48khz.

I've been selecting back to 48khz while going through this process, but each time I power down/up it reverts back to 32khz.

Recently, my studio computer (connected to the UFX/OctaMic2) had a power supply failure. Is there a chance something has happened during this? The computer certainly popped and never started again. I'm wondering if that information supports your theory of the UFX being defective?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and suggestions here MC

liamjayes wrote:

Regarding checking the error display, how is that performed? I haven't found anything in my user guide about a hardware and diagnostic check on the units display.

Manual chapter 23.2 tells about:

SETUP/REV. Encoder 1 selects Setups, Options and Reverb/Echo. Options has the subpages
Clock Options, HW Options/Diagnosis and Control Room Options. Reverb/Echo has the subpages
Reverb and Echo. The subpages are selected with encoder 2.

There you will find it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Excellent- thank you very much