Topic: Input monitoring of 6-8 stopped working - FF400 Windows 10

Hello,

Suddenly(?) routing input 6-8 to fireface 400 outputs does not affect the output at all! I think it may have happened because of the Windows 10 feature update recently? But I'm not entirely sure how that happened...

It is _not_ a cable issue and not a monitoring issue:
If i record the inputs, I can hear the input just fine - input 6,7,8 works, and the outputs too.

I see the input meters moving in the totalmix interface, but nothing is shown on the output meters in totalmix, after raising e.g. AN7/8 slider when having 'phones' selected.

I even made a matrix mix where Out 7 and Out 8 had 0.0 set for AN1-AN8, and all worked fine until plugging the cable into input 6 - no output sound.

If i use input 5+6 and try to monitor it as a stereo source, I can only hear the left channel (i.e. AN5) but not AN6. Using input 7+8 as a stereo pair gives no output at all.

RME Fireface 400

Re: Input monitoring of 6-8 stopped working - FF400 Windows 10

Save the current state as workspace, then do a Total Reset.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Save the current state as workspace, then do a Total Reset.

As in 'Options -> Reset Mix -> Total Reset' ? .. No change.

After raising my 'phones' volume and raising the input 5/6 volume I still only get sound in the left channel (from input 5).

Maybe I should make a screen recording of what I'm doing, or is it clear..?

RME Fireface 400

Screenshots might be helpful. What you describe so far can not be explained easily as it should simply work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is my config. Input 5/6 has input on both channels, but phones get only left channel (as seen in the mixer-window)

https://i.imgur.com/QPtrulB.png

https://i.imgur.com/DZss3D9.png

RME Fireface 400

Okay, something must be going wrong here...

Now I cannot get AN 1/2 software playback to go out in AN 7/8 (headphones). Only left channel is playing.

This is after a reboot. Still after a total reset this happens. Something must've happened in a Windows update recently?

RME Fireface 400

Output 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 gets a level on L/R in the 'software playback' section of total mix when outputting audio from Reaper, but trying to send any of these channels to phones-output just gives me the left channel...

If I press the 'mono' button on the phones output, I get sound in both channels, but at half level (I'm guessing it's (Left + nothing)/2.

Please advice... I'm about to record in the coming weeks...

RME Fireface 400

Your screenshots showed what I already expected - you work at single and double speed. In double speed you get SMUX and only 4 ADAT channels. The single channel routing might be caused by a not fully initialised hardware, syncing and operating not at real 44.1 kHz, but some weired mixed setup/state.

If you do the same as in the mixer screenshot, at 44.1 kHz, what does the Settings dialog look like? What software are you using, with WDM or ASIO?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's working now, for some reason...

When trying to route the inputs I didn't use any software except TotalMix. When using Reaper I used ASIO.

Now - I don't know what I did - I'm still running at 96 kHz, but after several weeks of not using the input routing, it just started working...

I guess this issue is closed then

RME Fireface 400