Topic: ADAT expander for UCX - any older units comparable?

So I know it's a bit of a stretch to post this here, but I figured I'd ask anyway. There are some older firewire-era audio interfaces going for very little money these days which have the ability to be used standalone as an analog to ADAT converter. I've been considering expanding my UCX for a while, but I've hesitated since I'm not sure if these older units will suddenly sound like crap next to it. I'm talking about stuff like vintage Focusrite Saffire Pros, Octopres (pre-Scarlett era), older FF400 and 800s, that sort of thing.

If anybody has used or is using anything from this vintage alongside their UCX with good success, I'd be happy to hear suggestions for interfaces that are "a very good value" these days to serve in this role. I just don't have the dosh to spend on a modern expander at the moment, but if there's a serviceable unit from history at a good current price I'd be all over it.

Feel free to tell me I'm a complete idiot and barking up the wrong tree too, so long as you suggest a modern interface that punches way above it's price range (and doesn't cost more than another used UCX) as an alternative, too.

Cheers!

Re: ADAT expander for UCX - any older units comparable?

As this is a vendor forum I think it's not fair (or maybe even not wanted) to recommend you non-RME products
in areas where RME products exist.

General remark, I am not sure whether it's a good strategy if you have already RME, to expand it with products of lower price tag, quality and features.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I would expect any vendor who prides themselves on highly interoperable products to be totally ok with stating how and what to expect when connecting other devices, and which ones are known to work well. That's the nature of providing standards-based equipment. A vendor who says "hey we provide ADAT and word clock sync but don't bother asking us for advice connecting them to other brands" is not one I care to do business with.

That said, I found a used Fireface 800 and it serves perfectly well as an AD/DA converter for my needs. Having 10 analogue inputs is also handy because I can make use of the S/PDIF to max out the UCX to a full 18 channels of analogue conversion, albeit with slightly greater latency on the additional inputs. Fortunately that latency is fixed, so it can be compensated for trivially.

I'm syncing with BNC word clock, UCX as master. Sync is rock solid.

studiodc wrote:

So I know it's a bit of a stretch to post this here, but I figured I'd ask anyway. There are some older firewire-era audio interfaces going for very little money these days which have the ability to be used standalone as an analog to ADAT converter. I've been considering expanding my UCX for a while, but I've hesitated since I'm not sure if these older units will suddenly sound like crap next to it. I'm talking about stuff like vintage Focusrite Saffire Pros, Octopres (pre-Scarlett era), older FF400 and 800s, that sort of thing.

If anybody has used or is using anything from this vintage alongside their UCX with good success, I'd be happy to hear suggestions for interfaces that are "a very good value" these days to serve in this role. I just don't have the dosh to spend on a modern expander at the moment, but if there's a serviceable unit from history at a good current price I'd be all over it.

Feel free to tell me I'm a complete idiot and barking up the wrong tree too, so long as you suggest a modern interface that punches way above it's price range (and doesn't cost more than another used UCX) as an alternative, too.

Cheers!

Hi Ramses, on opposite sides again, but no worries!
I am using with my HDSP9652:
RME ADI-8AE
Tascam FW1804
EMU 1212m (for FX)
RMEHDSP9632
I say go for it, whatever works.
All my analogue instruments and mic pre's are noisier then my AD/DA's. My studio is not dead silent too, nor are my computers. Still I never hear any noise or distortion in my final products.
Cheers!
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

I say go for it, whatever works.

I agree and would recommend converters which work in 24 bit without active Fans.
My tips for low budget: Behringer ADA 8200 with good value for that price or yes– some used FF400, FF800 in standalone mode (or some adi 8 ds if you find it for a good price), Focusrite Octopres, etc.

I use an older ADI 8 DS with my UCX. Works and sounds great.