Topic: UFX+ USB3 Error, change to Thunderbolt?

Hi, i got a new Audio Workstation and running a UFX+ with USB 3. I am having some Errors in the USB Diagnoses from time to time and I researched it on this forum. Because it is related to the USB Port/ Cable/ Controller I would like to change to TB with PCIe.
My Question is if it possible to do change that to TB and what PCIe Card is best for it?

I am running a PC W10/64Bit with intel 8 Core CPU on a Z390 Board. All latest drivers, also on RME Hardware.

Thanx for hints and help on this!

Re: UFX+ USB3 Error, change to Thunderbolt?

You will need to research which TB-card the manufacturer of your motherboard offers. There will be only one that works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-01-29 07:09:09)

Or take the sonnet USB3 card with FL1100 chipset, I operated 2 UFX+ and 1 ADi-2 Pro with it.

Unfortunately the product is officially not available anymore and has been replaced by an USB 3.1 4-port card,
but I am sure you get it still in shops:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/legac … 3pcie.html

Alternatively you can use the cheaper card where all 4 ports share one FL1100 chip:
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html

The new allegro pro 3.1 is not build with Fresco Logic chipsets anymore it uses 2x ASMedia 1142
and 2 ports share one USB3.1 controller: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … -pcie.html

The cool thing of the old Allegro Pro USB3.0 card was, that each of the 4 ports had a dedicated FL1100 USB3 controller,
which means that your UFX+ was fully isolated behind one USB3 controller and by this it was easy to run 2xUFX+ and ADI-2 Pro behind it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you:)

You're welcome wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey again,

i figured out the GC Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Card for my Motherboard. This is only Thunderbolt3 and I have to use an Adapter like mentioned in the UFX+ Manual on Page 116. (Star-Tech TBT3TBTADAP)

My Question is, if I "loose" performance with this adapter, or do I still achieve the Thunderbolt performance values, wich are a little bit better (faster) than the USB3 Values-just speaking for Latency.

Thanx in advance,
Lutz

The Startech adapter does not cause any performance loss for audio interfaces.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok, thank you;)

Hi again,
so now I installed the Thunderbolt Card for my system (GC Titan Ridge) and the Startech Adapter to use it with UFX+.
Everything is working great so far, except two things: If I render a file in Wavelab it always has the first three seconds empty. doesnt matter what sample rate. If I render a file from a project of Ableton Live 10, everything is fine.It didn't show up on USB2 so maybe its not a wavelab thing.
The other one is that sometimes If I play an audio file with  media player or resonics player, it is running on loop on closing the app. So the last bit of the music seems to stay in the buffer or something. If I start a new media player to play a file it is gone. On closing the new file it is also running until the end of time. If I restart the uFX+ it is gone.

Thank you for any hints or help,
Lutz

Would have been interesting how it is via Sonnet card with FL1100 chip.

The endless buffer effect can only happen when you are multitasking, means using several audio playbacks at the same time (even if the others don't seem to play audio).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok i understand. Of course I have no multiple instances running active, at this point I can't see a conflict on this. I will check it next time in the tskmngr if there is a background process or anything else running, that causes this. If this is not the best way to check that please let me know;)

ramses wrote:

Yes, maybe. But the workstation building team just recommended using this device..so I did that to avoid more bad things;))

Workstation building team ? of whom ?

lutz.herman1 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Yes, maybe. But the workstation building team just recommended using this device..so I did that to avoid more bad things;))

Hi Lutz,

I'm reading this thread and wondering how is your system now.
Since I do have an UFX+ and planning to get a new PC with Z390 Designare MOBO, which have TB3 with Titan Ridge.
Is everything working fine with your thunderbolt and Thunderbolt Adapter?
any issues?

Thanks

aureliopenna wrote:
lutz.herman1 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hi Lutz,

I'm reading this thread and wondering how is your system now.
Since I do have an UFX+ and planning to get a new PC with Z390 Designare MOBO, which have TB3 with Titan Ridge.
Is everything working fine with your thunderbolt and Thunderbolt Adapter?
any issues?

Thanks

Hi, yes everthing went out very well with ufx+ and the thunderbolt titan ridge.

Thank you very much Lutz!

aureliopenna wrote:

Thank you very much Lutz!

You’re welcome;))