Topic: What filter are you using?

Just curious as to what filters everyone is using and why (especially if you have speakers/studio monitors). I keep going between the SD Sharp and (non-SD) Slow filter. The sharp sounds more forward, slightly more resolving and possibly more detailed, and more crisp, while the slow sounds a bit smoother, and more pleasant in some ways. I am using Adam A7X speakers and Adam Sub8.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-01-19 19:32:05)

Re: What filter are you using?

Am using the default filter.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

NOS for speakers. The most euphony experience for untying sound from "boxes".
SD Sharp for headphones for punchy edged signature. Sometimes NOS also.

More opinions, especially for speakers? I'll have to give NOS a try. What do you think it is about NOS that makes it more euphonic dir?

5 (edited by ramses 2019-02-11 07:12:17)

Robertm394 wrote:

More opinions, especially for speakers? I'll have to give NOS a try. What do you think it is about NOS that makes it more euphonic dir?

IMHO .. If you do not hear a difference on your own then this change is irrelevant for you.

If you have the ADI-2 DAC then you can load two different settings quickly and compare by programming the remote control.

If you use NOS then you can use the PEQ compensation filter posted by MC some time ago to compensate the little loss at high frequencies if you listen with 44.1kHz.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by Robertm394 2019-02-11 01:09:57)

I can, I'm just curious why dir likes it.

Robertm394 wrote:

I can, I'm just curious why dir likes it.

Do you use NOS with PEQ compensation or without ?

And what you do not like ?

He didn't say that. Please...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by dir 2019-02-13 10:49:40)

I didn't care about aliasing or HF drop. Our ears easily adapt to changes in the frequency response, in contrast to the phase. You can easily be observed that fact when you changing different models of headphones. Even very high-quality headphones have a huge variation in freq response, but! If otherwise the headphones have a small percentage of distortions, you quickly get used to their “sound signature”. Same thing with HF drop on NOS mode.

NOS mode brings me more "musiс touch" feeling. I mean the moment of the genesis of sound, the first tacts. Its more important for me than little softening on HF.

10 (edited by Robertm394 2019-02-14 22:52:36)

Indeed. I find myself warming up to the NOS filter more and more. I find it complements my Adam A7Xs, which can be edgy/sharp in the highs

11 (edited by hpw 2019-02-15 15:04:05)

dir wrote:

Our ears easily adapt to changes in the frequency response, in contrast to the phase.

IMHO phase is an important factor!

Just do:

. alter L/R phase of each channel

. invert phase of both channels at once (ADI 2 Pro Feature) and listen carefully roll

If you do not get any listening difference, it may the  kind of "boom boom..." or "uzz uzz.. " music without any room information or stop purchasing expensive gear at all.

Keep in mind that may recorded CD's are phase inverted.

No one here was talking about absolute phase, but of phase shift within the audible frequency range.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I usually use the Slow filter.