Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hi all,
sorry for noob question, anyway.
I have acoustic guitar with active pickups (LR Baggs; typical mono jack 6.3mm output).
Is it correct to plug it directly into INPUT3 (or 4) of Babyface Pro?
Or do I need to buy D.I. box, and connect to XLR INPUT1 (or 2) via DI box?

should be fine.
try it and see if you like the sound?

Rubin70 wrote:

Hi all,
sorry for noob question, anyway.
I have acoustic guitar with active pickups (LR Baggs; typical mono jack 6.3mm output).
Is it correct to plug it directly into INPUT3 (or 4) of Babyface Pro?
Or do I need to buy D.I. box, and connect to XLR INPUT1 (or 2) via DI box?

hello, i just ordered a BFP due to the impressive specs and form factor tha suits my needs..however i'm really confused about the HIz inputs and the input impedance.

in your website specs :
AD, Line/Instrument In 3-4

As Microphone/Line 1-2, but:

Input: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
Input impedance: 1 MOhm

in the babyface manual page 21:
nput channels 3 and 4 are found as TS jacks on the right side of the Babyface Pro. These Hi-Z
universal inputs have an input impedance of 470 kOhm.

which one is true?

1 MOhm. 470 kOhm was the state before first shipment years ago, which sneaked into the various texts. But all units do have 1 MOhm.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
I just bought a new Babyface Pro.
For some reason I cant hear from any output but the headphones output.
Iv'e tried to put every channel to the max level, I even see the signals and all but I just cant hear anything on my monitors.
Please help me!

Where do you see a signal in Totalmix?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

I finally bought the BFP I've been dreaming of for 2 years !
After 10 years using my old Ultralite, everything in the physical interface or TotalMix
seems much more intuitive and easy enough for my needs, but I have a little question.

I manage to adjust the out levels with the wheel for the main out and phones, no problem. The dim button is great.
But for the optical outs, it seems to work only with AS 1/2, so SPDIF and first pair of ADAT,
the ADAT 3/4 to 7/8 are untouched, at least as far as I can see sliders moving in TotalMix...

Is there a way to assign the wheel to control all the 4 optical outs stereo pairs in one block?
Thanks !

Julien

Make a fader group in TotalMix output row with AS 1/2 and all other desired channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Do you mean Mirroring the others with with AS1/2? I tried but it mirrors submixes as well no? I mean when I did that all of them were feeding on the same stereo pair

Fader groups are explained in the manual. 21.3 The Channels and 21.5.2 Snapshots - Groups.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oooh ok I understand, temporary fader groups do the trick, I should just have RTFM

562 (edited by kire 2018-12-07 11:31:37)

Hello! smile

Just bought the BabyFace Pro that i use on my Win 10 PC. When i put my PC to sleep (usb still has power) there is a loud sharp pop sound coming from my monitors (doesnt happen on old audio interface UR22MKII) - any idea on what this can be?

Volume mismatch.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

564 (edited by kire 2018-12-07 14:07:23)

Please let me clarify:

When my PC goes to sleep it leaves power to the USB port for about 90 minutes until the monitors can auto turn off cause of no sound and then the PC finally enters hibernate state and power to the usb is shut off which turns off the audio interface and this procedure has eliminated the need for me to turn off the monitors manually every time i leave the computer unattended.. Which means that the popping sound happens when PC enters sleep and power to the Babyface pro is therefore still on

So what i mean is that in your link the article states power on/off but i dont think this applies here unless i misunderstood something?

The article is about volume mismatch, means medium to high volume when the faders in TM FX are only at -20 dB or lower. Then whatever pop noise will be heard too loud over the monitors. So is that the case with you?

The pop noise itself is most probably unavoidable, so the goal is to make it lower in volume.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

566 (edited by kire 2018-12-07 15:48:26)

I did some quick experimenting

https://i.imgur.com/wA54WGZ.jpg

When my faders are like on the LEFT: i get a very loud and sharp pop. - i have no instruments connected and this is while the interface has usb power but computer is in sleep mode.

When faders are like on the RIGHT screenshot: i get NO pop. - still no instruments connected and this is while the interface has usb power but computer is in sleep mode.

Is this the phenomena you refereed to in your link?

edit 1: also you state that the pop noise is unavoidable i don't understand that i haven't had this issue before tho?

edit 2: I can easily make this work by just lowering the instrument faders and use them when i need too but its just strikes me as weird that this praised manufacturer RME has this problem that cheaper manufactures have solved?!

Sorry for the rants/spam just had to say something.

Your fader positions are much too low. Playback 1/2 should be on 0 dB, Main Out AN 1/2 around -10. If that makes your speakers blow your ears then we have the exact situation I linked to.

There might be a way to prevent the click. I think the BF Pro changes to stand-alone mode and therefore changes the sample rate. So follow the instructions in the manual to set the same sample rate in stand-alone mode as you use in DAW mode, and the input click (which you routed to the output) might be gone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

568 (edited by kire 2018-12-12 15:59:10)

Hey, i just wanted to say that i followed your advice (finally smile ) and it now seems to work perfectly! My monitors have volume knobs so a tweak on those to lower the sensitivity was what i did together with setting the sample rate on both modes. Good times!

Hello to the Babyface Pro community forum- New owner/forum member here,located in Texas,USA. Just wanted to say...WOW, what a great USB interface! TotalMix deserves a second shout-out, even though it's taking a bit of time to master. It gave me a wonderful headache similar to the one I got when first digging into an SSL console's inch thick manual. Dig it,man!
Matthias "MC" Carstens, you have the patience of Job himself. Nearly every question I have seen asked is either in the BF Pro's manual,the user's 3rd party manual,or found via a simple internet search..but the few that weren't, were answered fully/promptly.
Totally impressed with RME's integrity,top to bottom. If I have any issues, I know where to turn for answers. Thanks, and cheers to all.

Hello. I`m a new here and i`m bad in English. So sorry if i will type something wrong or my question already was here.
I`m from Audient iD14 where i was able to mute my speakers and headphones separately. But how i can do this in my new BBF Pro? I mean i made a DIM button to be a mute knob but it mutes all output sound (headphones and speakers together) but i want to mute the main output mode - if a "Ch1/2" output is active and i press Dim i want to mute only this output (speakers) and if "Phones" are active - to mute only headphones. But i dont know what to chose in TotalMix for my Dim button. Here is a screenshot of my settings and i dont know what to choose for my purpose. Help me please.
BTW the device is great except some weird main volume wheel sudden volume jumping. I feel confident with this device because finally i`m able to run my cubase 9.5 pro with google chrome browser and some player with music and all this at the same time (audient cant do this at least for myself) and never get any dropouts. https://picua.org/image/ysec0fzecva.n2ewLB

If you use the Phones output as artist phones output then such an workflow is not implemented because it doesn't make sense. If you use the Phones output as second Main output then the function 'Speaker B' in TotalMix FX will solve your problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

so as i understand i can not mute my headphones without muting my speakers?

Sure you can - in TotalMix FX you have a Mute button per channel. But not on the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi! i noticed that when i change buffer settings the audio is cracking and distorted in audio cd playback or youtube etc..is this normal? the problem goes away when i restart the applications..i guess something is wrong with the WDM driver.
i'm using a windows 10 system. isn't the buffer setting hot swappable? thx!

The WDM buffer setting is not swappable in real-time. That is a Windows limitation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i have a weird noise problem lately...when i start the pc everything is quiet but when i play any audio signal then i have a constant noise like interference or like burning in my monitors..problem goes away when i switch them off then back when i play anything..any ideas?

I'm considering Babyface Pro for live broadcasts, and it seems to be a great choice for my needs. I just want to double check two things:

• Can I use ADAT I/O for outboard microphone dynamics? Specifically, XLR Mic into BBFP, ADAT Out into ART VoiceChannel, and ADAT In back from VoiceChannel into BBFP - would that work? This is for live show without an option to use a DAW.

• What is the maximum recommended headphone impedance? Doesn't matter which headphone port.

1. Yes, that works. It's easy to route the signal this way with TotalMix FX.

2. Any headphone works. The question is will it be loud enough (a matter of headphone sensitivity, not impedance) and you (a matter of personal preference).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Interesting advice. Thank you!

Hello
How can I safely connect my babyface pro to an apollo interface?  Optical cable out from babyface and in to the apollo (Adat) Plus an RME NTCARDBUS-X plugged into the wall.  Will that work?
Thanks for your help
Peter

ADAT is a standard.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hello,
the babyface pro makes a loud pop in this senario...i have a ps4 system connected with an optical spdif...the ps4 locks at 48khz..when i power up my pc then the pop happens..is there a way to avoid it so i dont need to power off/on my monitors when i change the signal source?

Level mismatch:

That's why the pop is so loud.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Quick question.  I pass audio from the Babyface Pro to another interface via ADAT.  Everything has been working fine for months.  Now, after a reboot, the audio has become distorted.  It now sounds faint and broken with static.  Nothing has changed in my configuration.  If I monitor the audio from the Babyface Pro headphone jack, it sounds fine, but passing it over ADAT now causes problems. 

I've updated the drivers for both the laptop audio and the Babyface Pro to the latest, but the problem persists.  Any ideas about what may have happened?

DLB wrote:

Quick question.  I pass audio from the Babyface Pro to another interface via ADAT.  Everything has been working fine for months.  Now, after a reboot, the audio has become distorted.  It now sounds faint and broken with static.  Nothing has changed in my configuration.  If I monitor the audio from the Babyface Pro headphone jack, it sounds fine, but passing it over ADAT now causes problems. 

I've updated the drivers for both the laptop audio and the Babyface Pro to the latest, but the problem persists.  Any ideas about what may have happened?

I solved my own problem.  I needed to set the clock source to "Optical In" rather than Internal to have them sync.  I didn't even think to look at this.

MC wrote:

Level mismatch:

That's why the pop is so loud.

weird thing is that if the ps4 is completety shut the pop doesn't happen..

Hello, I am using my Babyface with an Ipad Pro. I can get a signal okay in Totalmix, but I can't get signal in other apps. Nothing pops out at me in the manual. What do I have to do (configure) to play my guitar in Amplitube or Garage Band?

In Garage Band you have to select the desired inputs and outputs. You did that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, and I got a signal. Thanks. I switched on channel 3 as my input and phones as my output. I suppose if I want to hook up my monitors I click on the little speaker in GB?

Also, I guess I will find inputs and outputs in Amplitube? (I used to be good at this stuff, just a little rusty as a comebacker).

I appreciate your help.

I don't know Amplitube. It might rely on channel 1, not changeable. You can work around this with TotalMix loopback, see manual, section Mac OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't know Amplitube. It might rely on channel 1, not changeable. You can work around this with TotalMix loopback, see manual, section Mac OS.

Can I ask what Babyface owners tend to like for guitar sounds? I suppose there is the old-fashioned way of putting a microphone in front of an amplifier....

trevorj800 wrote:
MC wrote:

Can I ask what Babyface owners tend to like for guitar sounds? I suppose there is the old-fashioned way of putting a microphone in front of an amplifier....

i personally use bias fx and waves prs supermodels..for practice and to capture a dry signal they are ok but i will always reamp for the final guitar tone.

Hi RME Audio
I think about resell my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB and buy Babyface Pro
I have one question about buffer size on 96K
I  found information what's minimum buffer 32 on 96K, it's true?
Tell me please about roundtrip latency with this settings

What RTL did you measure with the Focusrite? I wrote measure, not read at some fake-news status info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

https://i110.fastpic.ru/big/2019/0227/be/d7d55d9df678e78626ab77282bf437be.png

to MC
I also use Kemper Amp and for me very important very low latency, because Kemper has latency too
My card excelent works with 96K at 16 buffer without clicks and distorsion but some times has another problem and i want resell card and buy more stable interface
Babyface Pro can work with 3msec?

http://www.rme-audio.de/img/rtl_bfpro.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

to MC
Thanks, very good, i like it

Hey,

lately I try to figure somethng out. I would love to add one send/return track to my DAW to add Outboard Reverb in the Mix. I have the BFP and was considering upgrading to the UC or UCX or add an Multiface or Fireface 400 via Adat. But since I just need one Stereo Send/return it´s maybe kind of a bit much since I only Track 2 Tracks when tracking, so the BFP in most cases fits well.

I read now that I could in fact use the Stereo phones output as output 3/4. Would that really be possible? Isn´t the signal too hot? So I would make a return track in my DAW send it to the Headphones out from there in to the Reverb and back into 3/4 while I still could Monitor on Main Outs and Track on 1/2? Would that be possible or would it be wiser to upgrade or somehow add Line Ins via Adat? Appreciate the help, thanx :-)

Yes 100% possible! And no it is not to hot. Has to do with impedance of the input vs headphones (headphones have much lower impedance). I use phones outs quit a lot of all kind of devices without issues and without sound degradation at all. For example with my moog I use the normal out direct and the phoses via an FX loop. But even if the level of the phones is to hot for the input of your reverb, just lower the level a liitle, either the send or the out level.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632