Topic: UCX + Adi-2 / 400

Hi,

I've been enjoying my UCX for a while now. But I bought a lot of synths and equipment recently, and also I'm building up a rack. So, with this come some challenges, some of which I can't quite figure out. Even though I've browsed extensively through these forums, I couldn't find answers to my questions.

I want to expand my audio I/O, as well as MIDI I/O, all in a rack form. And while looking on the second hand market, and considering my budget, I've got the following options:
A) UCX + ADI2 via ADAT;
B) UCX + ADI2 via SPDIF, and at the same time UCX + Scarlett OctoPre via ADAT (this would be an upgrade for A later on);
C) UCX + Firewire 400 via ADAT.

Note: for A and B, my desired setup would be smth like "All Synths -> UCX (+ OctoPre) -> DAW (Mac) -> UCX -> ADI2 -> Monitors", and as for C, I would like to use two standalone (not USB) MIDI patchbays, one for each interface (if possible).
---

Here are my questions:

1) First of all, is option B even possible? connecting 3 interfaces together? What about "daisy-chaining", i.e. UCX -> spdif -> ADI2 -> adat -> OctoPre? Am I going to get into latency issues in this way? Is it not recommended?
2) Regarding option A and B, would it be possible to control my headphones level via UCX's volume control (as it is now), and monitors levels via ADI-2's volume control? If not, then can I control the monitors via UCX by default (instead of headphones)?
3) For option C, can I enable 400's MIDI ports while connecting it to UCX via ADAT? what about connecting it via USB or Firewire, will I get 2 more MIDI ports?
4) I've left the optional stupid bonus question for last: Can I use the BNC port from UCX / 400 in order to power a BNC gooseneck lamp? UCX's manual says that BNC port outputs 5 Vpp, while the lamp's voltage is 12V. I'm sorry, but I have no idea what any of that means.

As a conclusion, which of these setups would you recomend?

Re: UCX + Adi-2 / 400

1) Yes, no problem. As to latency, there will be slight timing differences due to different AD/DA chips, but this is not really a problem in typical use.

2) Sure.

3) No, you can only use MIDI on the unit connected to the computer.

4) No idea, seems the voltage is too low. Anyway, you would need the BNC out to provide Word Clock to the Octopre.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.