Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Driver 3.15 is now officially relased (including TotalMix FX 1.6). Also all flash updates (for the Asmedia issue) are available online.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use Cubase and Logic, the program closes and the Report appears. I noticed in the console 4 errors exactly like this -

Failed to find icon image named: <private> for size: (16.000000,16.000000) scale:(1) variant: 0

Would the same bug occur on affected Macs - while using Windows 10 from a bootcamp partition?

Narwi88 wrote:

I use Cubase and Logic, the program closes and the Report appears. I noticed in the console 4 errors exactly like this -

Failed to find icon image named: <private> for size: (16.000000,16.000000) scale:(1) variant: 0

Can you please give a full report:

- which driver did you use

- which program closes

- what report appears?

- if Cubase and Logic close, does iTunes or similar work?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

155 (edited by Narwi88 2019-02-18 19:38:27)

I have a Mojave RME BabyFace Pro + Dc 12  unfortunately this error closes Cubase and Logic, the report points to Kontakt.vst, but the console has a lot of fault.
There were errors with Itunes that interrupted the sound for a while.

I uninstalled "Kontakt" then the error shows on the DAW itself.

I bought the ELGATO mini dock thunder bolt 3, unfortunately no improvement in sound errors.

Next I have crackles, sometimes the audio turns off for a few seconds, but the project still looks on the move.

On the card built into the MAC everything goes well.

Narwi88 wrote:

I have a Mojave RME BabyFace Pro + Dc 12  unfortunately this error closes Cubase and Logic, the report points to Kontakt.vst, but the console has a lot of fault.

I bought the ELGATO mini dock thunder bolt 3, unfortunately no improvement in sound errors.

Next I have crackles, sometimes the audio turns off for a few seconds, but the project still looks on the move.

Not sure if the Elgato is reported to work.  From what you're saying it seems not to.  The Cable Matters TB3 miniDock does work for me.  I recorded 32 tracks into my 2018 mini this weekend at our church without any issues at all for 2 hours but this is using a different USB2 audio interface.  I've recorded a stereo track with the MADIFace Pro also for up to an hour and so far everything is fine.  No errors in Console so far.

Narwi88 wrote:

You didn't mention:

- what Mac computer
- what RME driver version

The Elgato should work, but we did not test it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did you update the 802 to the just released firmware v15?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Could someone from RME confirm or disconfirm that this also happens on a WIN 10 partition on a T2 Mac?

A new article about this problem is getting some attention on Hacker News:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19196354

here, too

https://www.factmag.com/2019/02/19/appl … -reported/

MC, can you tell me if the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD should work? https://www.apple.com/us_smb_83039/shop … ss-dock-hd

FWIW I have sent a few emails over the past month to RME but received no response, although I sent them before finding this thread.

The Belkin is true TB3 and therefore should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...and here in German:

https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/ … 13347.html

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

and here: http://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glit … W46N-vb_rA

As I'm also looking for a EGPU for my Mac Mini 2018, I'm wondering if I could use the Asus XG Station Pro as thunderbolt 3 dock? It has a second usb-c connector on the backside for additional usb hardware and the egpu itself runs via thunderbolt 3. I'm wondering if connected devices on the second usb-c connector gets processed via the EGPU or gets just forwarded as USB-c to the Mini.

167 (edited by Narwi88 2019-02-22 00:38:23)

welcome back! I gave my mac mini last chance. After formatting disk and reinstalling the system, no problems. I turned off the icloud because he was suspicious to me ... now he works normally smile We will see how long ...I am using the new 3.15 driver

..I do not use TB3 smile

Mac Mini 2018
i7 3.2
32 Ram

Will inform you how something will change smile

Hi ! another day without problems. Can anyone confirm this ? turn off icloud files on the desktop and finder. and see if you still have cracks?

Narwi88 wrote:

Hi ! another day without problems. Can anyone confirm this ? turn off icloud files on the desktop and finder. and see if you still have cracks?

Haven’t tested this specifically but I did test recording with WiFi off, which was suggested by Apple for me to try, and it recorded for about 60 minutes without stopping and only one audio glitch connected straight into one of the USB-A ports on the mini.  Also using the tb3 mini dock I did have a recording stop on me once but there was a lot of going on in the background and couldn’t reproduce it after I noticed this.

This doesn't fix anything, I turned everything off, iCloud, date time, location etc and still glitches with USB, only solution was TB3 but I still get a glitch here and there and have to re-render live bounces, keep finding the odd horrible spike in bounces.

Thanks to CDM etc for bringing to light, hopefully this will force a solution if there's any.

www.yila.co.uk

171 (edited by Narwi88 2019-02-24 12:06:50)

iamyila wrote:

This doesn't fix anything, I turned everything off, iCloud, date time, location etc and still glitches with USB, only solution was TB3 but I still get a glitch here and there and have to re-render live bounces, keep finding the odd horrible spike in bounces.

Thanks to CDM etc for bringing to light, hopefully this will force a solution if there's any.

for me, I helped with the disk format and disabling icloud. You can try the disk format. I struggled
About 3 months with this problem, it was the last resort but it helped. Until now the problem did not come back.

But I had this problem from a fresh system, I don’t see how this could work?

Also I’ve never enabled iCloud since it sucks. So maybe I could try enabling it then switching it off but seeing this seems to a hardware fault, or at least on a firmware level not sure if these things really help.

Are you sure you just didn’t install the new driver which made the glitches less noticeable?

www.yila.co.uk

173 (edited by Narwi88 2019-02-25 01:52:17)

Fvck ... problems come back... This is strange always come back after 5 days of installing the new system, apple has it in the ass.For me, this is nonsense.

the only solution is to buy the hub

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

the only solution is to buy the hub

Waiting for the shipment I bought Caldigit and I will definitely let you know.

Elgato TB3 dock - dosen’t Work I try.

did anyone try this trick ?

https://youtu.be/rzjXgPmVtdQ

MC wrote:
Narwi88 wrote:

You didn't mention:

- what Mac computer
- what RME driver version

The Elgato should work, but we did not test it.

Mac mini 2018
I7 , 32 ram 512 ssd
Babyface pro
Last drive 3.15

Since new driver update I’m getting some really really weird sounds, like glitch but more bubbly, also hearing more pops and more often rare dropouts on bounce, I was on the unofficial driver 3.15 before now the official release and having problems.

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

Since new driver update I’m getting some really really weird sounds, like glitch but more bubbly, also hearing more pops and more often rare dropouts on bounce, I was on the unofficial driver 3.15 before now the official release and having problems.

Do you use Caldigit ?

Yes

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

Yes

one writes that helps and the other does not ... in that case I ordered it not necessary, but it will test how it will not help sell my mini 2018 and buy older versions.

Yes it fixed my problem substantially not completely but almost, until this new driver update I have different issues

Be warned the graphics output on the caldigit is useless, Display port picture unusable so sticking with onboard hdmi

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

Yes it fixed my problem substantially not completely but almost, until this new driver update I have different issues

Be warned the graphics output on the caldigit is useless, Display port picture unusable so sticking with onboard hdmi

if this does not help me, I will buy Mac Pro 2013, create music and earn money for my family. I can not wait until the wonderful apple fixes the error.

MC -
is the latest driver on the Rme website prepared for Caldigit? today I will be testing.

184 (edited by Narwi88 2019-03-06 19:29:54)

I have good news - Caldigit Mini TB3  works!
He has been working for 6 hours without any breaks in the sound.

I've turned off Icloud
Driver 3.15
Nex step - macOS Utilities window, choose Utilities> Startup Security Utility from the menu bar. "NO SECURITY"

I just turned off the interference of the T2 chip that causes all of our problems.

When they start having problems with the sound again - write here.

At this moment, thank you all.

After one month of solid use, I'm happy to report that the powered Cable Matters TB3 Hub is absolutely rock solid. You can get it on Amazon for $159 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYFHYNS . Because it is not bus powered, there are no issues with it dropping the signal or not being recognized when the computer wakes up...I had both those issues with the Caldigit bus-powered hub.

Abid Hussain, AKA Nebulae
Ableton Certified Trainer

I like the company name "Cable Matters". I bought a DP cable from them in 2014, so they have been around for some years now.

Apple has made macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta 5 available for developers. I quote:

------------
...the most recent macOS Mojave developer seed contains changes that improve the reliability of USB audio devices.
------------

We will be testing this version over the weekend.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

188 (edited by mjfe87 2019-03-16 14:40:39)

MC wrote:

------------
...the most recent macOS Mojave developer seed contains changes that improve the reliability of USB audio devices.
------------

Thanks for the update! You may have saved us the cost of a backup T3 hub! Fingers crossed...

P.s. have you been testing audio performance on the latest iPads too?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

MC wrote:

------------
------------

Where did you read this? Can't find anything about USB audio interface changes in the beta release notes.

According the this German post, the new 10.14.4 beta really fixed the problems. I expect 10.14.4 to be released next week.
https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/ … 38624.html

finally. I'm still having one of my convertors drop out now and then..

Anyone want to buy a caldigit hub with two useless display ports?

www.yila.co.uk

last week I tested with the public beta 10.14.4. Beta5 and it really seemed the issue with audio glitches and UFX II is gone.
Then I update to the new Beta6 and and now the issue is there again.

@Matthias Carstens: Did you test with Beta6 in the meanwhile?

No. Sorry, but we got other things to do. The final release will tell us all if the TB docks are still necessary or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

isn't it in everyones interests including yours to test each beta and report to apple which are working? - even if it is apples fault

'got other things to do'

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

isn't it in everyones interests including yours to test each beta and report to apple which are working? - even if it is apples fault

as frustrating as it is, it could be fixed in a beta release but broken again in the RC. so anyway you would have to wait for the official public release.

aroom wrote:
iamyila wrote:

as frustrating as it is, it could be fixed in a beta release but broken again in the RC. so anyway you would have to wait for the official public release.

Do Apple allow beta testers to report back on performance?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Please test your USB devices! 10.14.4  will be released today. https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebea … ch-25/amp/

Apple just released macOS Mojave 10.4.4

- Improves the reliability of USB audio devices when used with the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models introduced in 2018

Mojave 10.14.4 combo update has now dropped in production: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?vie … cale=en_US

MacOS 10.14.4 seems to have fixed the issue with my USB2.0 interface. I hope it has resolved the matter with the RME interfaces as well. Thanks to everyone on this forum, and to RME for staying on top of this issue.