Topic: How to record electric guitar with HDSP 9632?

Hello,

I just purchased HDSP 9632 and breakout cable with XLR. I also have a DI box to go from XLR to my guitar cable, however I am unable to see any signal in Total Mix from my guitar. It is possible to directly record an electric guitar this way (as I was able to with my Echo and M-audio cards) or do I need to buy some more equipment? If so what? I’m on Windows 7.

Thank you

Re: How to record electric guitar with HDSP 9632?

Active DI box that needs phantom power? Plugged into the wrong XLR input (digital AES breakout)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the response. I was using the Digital breakout cable. I have purchased the Analogue breakout cable. It is on the way, but this means I will no longer be able to use the Analogue RCA out to monitor the sound with my Receiver.

My Receiver has coaxial Digital in, so I’m trying to use the 9 pin Digital Breakout cable Red socket of the 9632, but I cannot get any sound when playing an mp3. In Total Mix I can only see a signal in Software Playback Analogue 1/2 and Hardware Output Analogue 1/2, but no signal in Hardware Output SPDIF.

How do I get the sound to come out of the 9 pin Digital Breakout cable Red socket of the 9632?
Is this a routing issue?

Thank You

It is, and it is easy to do:

Usage in mode Submix View (Default):
simply click on the hardware output channel where you want to have an audio signal. This channel turns brighter, means it is selected as current submix. Now move the faders up from all sources - input and playback channels - that you want to hear at the submix output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Some add-on info kavise2.

Not sure whether you had a look already, the RME Handbook gives you information about TotalMix FX.

Additionally I put together this information in my blog for TM FX starter as a step by step guide: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

I can also recommend the very compact and informative RME tutorial videos: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank You - that worked - I was confused by the Total Mix interface because the selected TK had what appeared to be a strong green signal (but with no sound) what I did not notice is that the fader was all the way down (even though the signal was green and looked big enough to produce sound) - when I raised the fader I was able to hear the audio for the signal I was seeing. I also messed around with some of the other settings, so that may have played a role here as well.

I appreciate the link for the video as well

Anyway - looks good now, just waiting for the analogue breakout so I can plug in my guitar

The loopback prooves the unit is ok. The attenuator that you use is too low in impedance and interacts with the output impedance of the outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME