Topic: Can I plug a synth into the XLR inputs at the back of the Babyface Pro

As far as I understand, the 2 inputs in the back of the Babyface Pro are intended for Mic inputs and as such are expecting a much lower level input than my synthesizers output. The problem is, I have 3 synths so the 2 DI inputs on the side aren't enough (and I only have 1 mic). I unfortunately can't simply try it as I don't have a 1/4" to XLR cable (yet), so I wanted to ask here if there is anyway to additionally use one of these inputs at the back as a line level input?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Can I plug a synth into the XLR inputs at the back of the Babyface Pro

Reading the manual (or the web's description of the BF Pro) will quickly reveal that the XLR inputs are both mic and line inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by jude 2019-03-01 13:32:08)

Thanks! I bought it second hand so don't have the manual unfortunately, and wasn't able to find the answer by Googling. Where exactly does it say it on the web's description? I can see "You can plug any instrument, line or high impedance, into Babyface Pro’s jack inputs 3 & 4." but those are the jack DI inputs, I'm asking about the XLR inputs 1 & 2.

Thanks again for your help.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bface_pro_e.pdf

Technical Specifications
Analog
AD, Microphone/Line 1-2
                         ^^^^^^

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I still don't see it (perhaps we are on different pages) but I am sure you are right! Thank you, I'll order the cable now smile

6 (edited by ramses 2019-03-06 17:55:47)

It's so easy to find...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/erjdpgqwm9nyx3g/2019-03-06%2017_53_41-RME_%20Babyface%20Pro.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am looking into getting the Babyface Pro FS. I have a 8 channel valve analogue mixer and I am wanting to connect its XLR main outputs to the Babyface's XLR 1 and 2 inputs. I can see from this topic and the online manual that the Babyface XLR's can also be line as well as mic if you apply the pad. The mixer has analogue synths and a sampler connected. Someone pointed out to me that accidentally turning on the 48v phantom power would cause damage to the mixer and synths ..... Is this correct? The line 3 and 4 inputs would be used for other gear.

Rez wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am looking into getting the Babyface Pro FS. I have a 8 channel valve analogue mixer and I am wanting to connect its XLR main outputs to the Babyface's XLR 1 and 2 inputs. I can see from this topic and the online manual that the Babyface XLR's can also be line as well as mic if you apply the pad. The mixer has analogue synths and a sampler connected. Someone pointed out to me that accidentally turning on the 48v phantom power would cause damage to the mixer and synths ..... Is this correct? The line 3 and 4 inputs would be used for other gear.

To the mixer, yes that could cause damage depending on the design and if it is protected for it (you could ask the mixer developer), to the synths unlikely but if you blow up the mixer bad you never know.
But there exist phantom power blockers. You can make them yourself or buy them. Just google.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Maybe its an option for you to use AN 3/4 in. Not balanced, but for normal cable length this should not hurt.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the reply .... I suppose the risk of using XLR inputs and 48v accidentally applies to other brand interfaces as well. Was going to use inputs 3/4 for some other gear but might have to use instead. I'll also have a look into the phantom power blockers. There is no real sound difference between using XLR inputs v the 1/4 inputs is there?