Topic: Alternative to Babyface 15-pin D-sub connector?

Hi there,

I apologise in advance as this is my first time posting here and I'm not all that tech-savvy so some of the below may sound a bit out-there. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I have an RME Babyface. Not the "Pro" model, but the original discontinued model (this one: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface.php), which came with a breakout cable with a 15-pin D-sub connector that offers the following connections:

- 4 x XLR balanced (Analog I/O)
- 1 x 1/4" TRS for Phones (= Analog Out 3+4)
- 2 x DIN (MIDI I/O)

Of the seven connections listed above, I only use one: the mic/line input 1 to record vocals. I use the Babyface in Class Compliant mode with my iPad for on-the-go recording, and the fact I have to carry around six other connections is a bit of a pain. It would be great if I could just connect a mic to the Babyface without using the breakout cable, or using a more streamlined connection.

All I use the Babyface for is to record vocals and guitar (the latter via the on-board Instrument Input). I've thought of using a 6.35mm/TRS to XLR cable to record the mic through the Instrument Input but am concerned about loss and quality.

Basically, my question is: is there any alternative to the breakout cable that could allow for a lighter and less cumbersome connection from a mic to the Babyface? Preferably without compromising on quality.

Re: Alternative to Babyface 15-pin D-sub connector?

Simply solder one yourself. The pinout is listed in the manual, chapter 27.2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME