Topic: FX Sends and Returns with the Fireface 800 (+ADAT box)

Hi

Apologies in advance for the basic question

I have a FF800 and a pair of ADAT interfaces. At the moment, my synths run into the boxes and I manage it all in Ableton.

I'd like to add a hardware saturation unit into my flow and I can't work out how to do this, either from the connections point of view or Total Mix

I guess I would need to route some signal from the RME to the hardware saturation unit, then return that back. But where?

And how would I then send that wet signal onto my DAW?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Re: FX Sends and Returns with the Fireface 800 (+ADAT box)

This kind of thing is best configured inside your DAW, there should be provisions for send/return channels of some kind, or it can be manually configured. If you do this in Totalmix, the setup can not be saved with the individual project, which makes things complicated...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

This kind of thing is best configured inside your DAW, there should be provisions for send/return channels of some kind, or it can be manually configured. If you do this in Totalmix, the setup can not be saved with the individual project, which makes things complicated...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I guess my basic question is... do I attach the hardware effects unit to the outs and ins of the RME in any special way or is it really that simple?
Also, can I use my ADAT interface for this (which is connected via light pipe and word clock)

Yes it is that simple!
Setting it up in my DAW of choice, Cubase is simple too, don't know about ableton but should be similar.
Go to input output menu and choose external FX
Choose add external FX (mono or stereo)
Choose the inputs you used for connecting. Maybe name it Ext. Saturation
Now I can insert an external FX in my DAW. It is available in the plugin list. Daw takes care of the latency.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632