Topic: Fireface 802 feedback

Hello,

I am using my 802 outputs to process audio material from my DAW with outboard equipment and then back.

I have read the manual, youtube videos, but never managed so far to have the signal out, then in, and to be able to listen to the processed signal only without having feedback or duplicated signal.

I have also reset all the setting on totalmix with no luck yet.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexis

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-09 09:29:41)

Re: Fireface 802 feedback

Do you know the basic principles to operate TM FX ?

1. HW inputs are always passed through to the application.
2. Mute on inputs is only relevant for a submix, the application still gets the signal from HW input.
3. In submix mode click to an HW output (which is the submix) and set the faders of
- HW inputs (whats connected to your device) and
- SW playback (signals that come from your applications)

Now one basic example how routing works:

All you need to do is to connect
- outputs of your outboard device to i.e. Analog 3+4 IN
- inputs of your outboard device to Analog 3+4 OUT

Now the routing part, assuming your DAW sends something out to Analog 1+2

1. click to HW Output "Analog 3+4" and raise the faders of SW Playback "Analog 1+2" up to 0db
Temember, everything which comes from application/DAW you see on the SW output channels.

Now you should see:
- on your outboard device a signal coming in (assuming it has such controls)
- as the outputs of your outboard device are connected to Analog 3+4 IN, you should see also here a signal coming in.
As you know, TM FX passes all signals of HW inputs to the application/DAW:
- so you should also see an input signal in your DAW at Analog 3+4

This routing you can store to a snapshot (right side of TM FX).

And the whole setup you can store two ways
a) by storing snapshot and workspace to disk (TM FX: File-> Save Snapshot as, File -> Save Workspace as)
b) by storing snapshot and workspace to one of the 30 Workspace Quick Select Slots (TM FX: Workspace Quick Select)

I personally do it both ways:
to a) it's easier in handling, you can save and restore both
to b) you save the snapshot and workspace to a folder in your home directory which you (should) backup.
Then you can restore snapshot and workspace easier after new installation or on other PCs.

Here a TM FX primer that I wrote, which contains the overview below to make routing more clear:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

Also watch the RME video tutorials and read the handbook where TM FX is also explained:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Fireface 802 feedback

Hey Ramses,

Amazing info and explanation, thanks a lot!

I will investigate everything when I am back in the studio and report back in case!