Topic: How durable is the XLR output plug?

I've noticed I have to put considerable pressure to fully plug in and especially to unplug XLR cables from the Dac.
It may be due partly to the cables I'm using.

How much pressure can the XLR output plug take? And is it safe to gently wiggle the plugs when pulling out or should you just try to pull straight out?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-03-10 10:57:56)

Re: How durable is the XLR output plug?

I have no issues with my XLR cables, they go in and out smooth and sit tight when being locked.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cpm_15_fm_flex.htm

What cables do you use ? Do they have Neutrik plugs ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

They are a quality brand. I just have to apply a fair bit of pressure to plug in and remove them. Maybe that's normal for XLR plugs as my speakers are similar (though not requiring as much pressure as the dac).

To unplug them, I have to hold the dac down and pull pretty hard but I pull slowly.

Mostly wondering if that's normal and anticipated in the design, or if I should be careful when plugging/unplugging.

No it's not normal having to use this much pressure.

On my devices I can unplug with one hand. Ok, I need to use a little force, as well, thats ok, but not that much that you need to use from your description.

Maybe the tolerances of the XLR plug of your cable are not ok. Simply try with other cables.
Look for cables with Neutrik plugs. Neutrik is the de facto standard for good plugs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by bejoro 2019-03-11 09:01:24)

Definately not normal.

Neutrik is perfect, even from the highest-end point of view. So called high-end manufacurers often use China clones with nicer casing and that's very often the problem, even with very expensive cables.

Neutrix FX/MX plugs need less force than Neutrik FXX/MXX.
Neutrik FXX/MXX and FX/MX have identical contact units but different casings. Both are perfect XLR plugs.

Always use Neutrik gold plated versions (contacts, pins), never use silver plated versions (severe corrosion over time).

From many, many tests I strongly recommend the Sommer Carbokab 225 XLR cables. Assembled by Sommer with Neutrik FX/MX (gold plated), different lenghts available (prices are per piece).

Also Carbokab 225 as a cinch cable if correctly assembled (pseudo balanced).
The Neutrik cinch plug NF2 CB-2 is also perfect, by far better than any WSS, Furutech, BulletPlugs or whatever. But they need a higher force to plug/unplug, so you have to act carefully.

May the force be...

Are you aware there's a lock on XLR plugs?

I've never been able to kill an XLR. Other plugs, yes, but not XLR's. Not even by driving a van over them. And certainly not by plugging or unplugging.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

7 (edited by Robertm394 2019-03-11 22:34:57)

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by a lock? My sub has a locking mechanism when you plug in the XLRs - you have to press the unlocking tab on the sub itself to pull the cables out.

However, I don't see an similar tab on the dac. On my other speakers, all I do is pull the XLR cable out.

Is there a locking mechanism on the Dac?

This type of mechanism is on my sub, but I don't see any locking mechanism on the Dac: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … BYEALw_wcB

There is no latch on the ADI-2 DAC XLR outs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Rob,

"Gourmet" XLRs that comply to NO Spec will be a source of endless problems.  You should NOT need to use FORCE to insert/extract an XLR connector.

As has been stated, Neutrik is the Industry Standard.   Use only "Magic Cables" that employ the Neutrik.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Rob, it would be interesting to know exactly what cable it is. You've got a lot of support from the forum now, so I'd appreciate it if you'd give some of your experience back to the forum to prevent others from buying a cable that just doesn't work as it should.

OK, here we go (I don't want to argue about it). It's the Audioquest Mackenzie XLR. Both fit very tight, but I think the problem is actually the right cable which does not plug in quite as easily as the left. I'm exchanging them for a replacement pair. I will not comment on whether it makes a difference in sound, a wise purchase, or debate it. Thanks smile

Thanks for the info Rob.