Topic: UFX preamp noise / silence

I bought my UFX new around 5 yrs ago and it recently presented with a lot of static noise on one of the preamps. I sent it back to Innoative Music - the Australian distributor, and they were able to replace a faulty component (resistor I believe) which rectified the noisy preamp. However, now another strange problem has presented itself and they are struggling to fix.

When apply gain to all four of the mic pres, no signal is present until you ‘spike’ the input level to ‘wake it up’. This is happening too will a microphone plugged in and no ambient noise will be present on the channel until it recieves a hot signal to ‘switch it on’ so to speak.

The firmware has been updated and didn’t resolve the issue.

I have read others having the same problem on this forum.

Please assist! Thanks

Duncan

Re: UFX preamp noise / silence

Please contact the retailer or local distributor for service options...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Please contact the retailer or local distributor for service options...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have. The local Australian distributor service department still has the unit and cannot fix it, so what should I do?

I think MC posted a while ago what this could be (I remember faulty caps), but I could not find the thread. Hope he chimes in. I am interested too cause I have the same problem on a non RME device since a while.
Hope you get it fixed soon
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

That phenomenom is normal and part of how the mic preamps work. But it does not need a 'hot' signal, any low level one will put the current gain setting into effect.

If you really need 'hot' then I have no clue what this could be. Especially as you claim to have it on all 4 channels - 4 separate chips won't break at the same time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME