Topic: The right way to connect the UCX via Firewire ?

Dear All,

I have been using the UCX for several years now without issues. This is how I have been connecting and disconnecting it to the computer with Firewire cable :  turn computer on, turn UCX on, then connect to computer. The computer will recognize the unit and all is well. When session finished, close DAW, disconnect the firewire, then turn off UCX.

However, I just read somewhere that it is better to connect or disconnect the Firewire cable while while UCX is turned off. Or turn off the UCX before disconnecting the firewire cable.

Is it possible to have a confirmation on that ?

As I have mentioned before, the unit is doing well, I just want to make sure to prevent future issues.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: The right way to connect the UCX via Firewire ?

The state of the UCX power setting is irrelevant. The computer should be turned off to avoid shorting power pins when you plug in the FireWire cable.

Computer off, connect FW cable to computer & unit, then turn power on. You are literally playing with fire by connecting the FireWire cable with the computer already powered up.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by WickedTone 2019-03-30 10:16:22)

Thank you for the clarification.

I did not know that.

Is it recommended to do the same via USB ? Or via USB I could connect to CPU while already on ?

Only with Firewire.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK, Thank you.

I normally power on the Mac Pro in the morning and it will stay on all day. Then shut it down for the night.

If I use the UCX with FireWire, it is recommended to be connected first before start up. When the UCX is not in use, it will remain on unless I shut down the Mac Pro to disconnect the FireWire. Otherwise, the unit will be on all day and will get hot.

I have read various treads regarding leaving the interface on all the time. There is no clear answer if its good or bad.

Therefore, I will probably use the unit with USB from now on. This way I can connect or disconnect, turn off, turn on the UCX as I wish through the day without shutting down the Mac. Less risk of damage.

Thank you again clarifications.