Topic: Software Resampling using Loopback

Considering purchasing a HDSPe AIO, I have some specific requirements pertaining to software resampling using TotalMix FX :

[A.] Can I record all and everything that makes a sound in my system simultaneously, mixed together, using the Loopback function? Scenario: web browser, multiple ASIO apps, non-ASIO apps, system alerts, Discord video call ... all mixed together.

[B.] Must I manually add every new app that makes a noise, or is there a catch-all method that automatically routes any new noise making applications to my designated recording channel? (Really important for spur-of-the-moment creative flow!)

Re: Software Resampling using Loopback

A: Yes. That's how Core audio works. Usually, people want the opposite, eg, one of these sounds, or all of those on separate channels. That can be done with SoundSource:

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

B: Yes, you must add every app that wants to use sound input. Those are Apple's new security guidelines, to prevent rogue apps from listening to your microphone.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by ramses 2019-04-07 15:19:03)

@cyrano: you were quicker wink BTW .. does he really talk about an Apple computer ?

@hced: Yes you can do.

Loopback is only needed if you want to record audio from PC applications in your DAW,
otherwise your DAW can access every i/o port of your recording interface using the RME ASIO driver.

You can create loopback recording for every HW output / submix.
As soon as you enable Loopback on the submix, then you can record this submix on the corresponding input.

It's useful to use Output ports that are otherwise not required, in many cases the ADAT outputs are useful for that.
Especially if there is no preamp connected on ADAT in.
Then you have with one ADAT i/o port the possibility to create up to 4 stereo submixes for loopback recording as you like.

You need only to take care that you perform proper gain staging .. every new channel sums up.
But it's easy, simply adjust the Faders of the different SW playback channels (eventually also HW inputs)
and adjust the levels to each other that they do not overload the output and that the volume between them makes sense. Finally you can also create a fader group to adjust the volume for them all at once to not overload the output.

The only thing that could become challenging for you is Microphone Input via WDM drivers.
As far as I understood it's a limitation of the Microsoft Driver model.
You can get them only as stereo channel.
So it could happen that your headset mic connected to PC then of all sudden only plays only on the left channel.
Therefore I would try to use only Mics connected to the Recording Interface, there you do not have this issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Great answers both of you guys.

@cyrano: I'm on PC (been religiously Mac-only for 20 years, though).

So then I take it I'm good to go for a HDSPe AIO purchase! Resampling system audio here I come.

Offtopic question: I read somewhere that RME's ASIO is multi-client (no audio lockup or stealing between ASIO apps), in contrast to ASIO4ALL which is single-client only. (Although, I've been using ASIO Link Pro to remedy that so far.) Is that correct?

5 (edited by ramses 2019-04-07 19:25:51)

RME is multi client able, you can read it in the handbook and this way DIGICheck tools work as well.

Installation of ASIO4ALL is neither recommended not best practise. Forget about this.

It's simply a workaround for people who want to use devices which normally do not fit. Like i.e. USB Mics.

But it introduces an additional Layer on top of ASIO and Windows drivers.

For stability you want to avoid if any possible to introcude additional crap in between.

Simply use ASIO driver of the vendor, thats it.

Using ASIO4ALL is like "playing around" with your environment, but neither a recommended nor a supported solution.

Everybody today asks for low latencies (whether he understood whether he needs it or not),
but then you introduce another ASIO layer ? Makes absolutely no sense.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13