Topic: "Phantom Interface" - does it exist?

Hi guys

I have a live setup that utilises an RME fireface 800. When playing live I have Ableton sending audio to all sorts of outputs, including the 10 analog outs, and the ADAT.

I quite regularly want to do little bits of work on this project, but without setting up all the gear involved. I therefor have to open Ableton, and change all of the outputs to show 1/2 in order for the computer to play audio without the interface attached. This is a pain because then to play live I have to change them all back again, and I'd much rather have everything set and ready to go when setting up on stage.

Is there a way to trick my computer into thinking that it still has an RME fireface (or something with lots of outputs) attached, that then funnels all of these outputs into stereo channels 1 and 2 so that I can hear them all through the headphone jack? A kind of 'phantom interface' if you will...

Would be super helpful.

Thanks all

C

Re: "Phantom Interface" - does it exist?

When you are on Mac, you could use Loopback from Rogue Amoeba.
Similar should be available for Windows.
You can define a virtual device with as many outputs as your Audio Interface has and route this outputs to you builtin soundcard.
Then in Ableton Live choose this new virtual device.

Re: "Phantom Interface" - does it exist?

Thank you, that's exactly the sort of thing I meant! I already use loopback of my IAC driver, so I guess it works pretty much the same. Legend x