Topic: UFX as a live mixer. Question about sampling frequency

I enjoy using my UFX also as a live digital mixer.

Just from a technical point of view: what difference makes changing the sampling frequency from single speed to double speed?

Do I have better conversion?
Faster latency? - as I read from the UFX manual from 0.9ms (44KHz) to 0.38ms (96KHz)

Thanks
marco

Re: UFX as a live mixer. Question about sampling frequency

Higher frequency response, see also handbook page 105, but tbh, do you really require it ?
Your PC has to process the double amount of data, is the PC capable to do so reliably ?

Side notes:

If you have other digital sources they also need to be capable delivering 88.2/96, as you can not run different clocks without SRC.

For what reason would you require lower ADDA latency in a life context below 0,9ms ? If I didn't calculate wrong thats a latency as if you stand 30,9cm in front of the speaker.
In a life context your audience can be i.e. 5-100m wide from speakers, which is a latency range of 14 - 291m.
Who cares then about 0,9 or 0,3ms ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by marcobarbaro 2019-04-11 12:21:18)

Thanks for your reply. Yes its just a theoretical thought.

ramses wrote:

Your PC has to process the double amount of data, is the PC capable to do so reliably ?

No computer involved, just the UFX used as a digital mixer for instruments and voice realtime amplification.

ramses wrote:

If you have other digital sources they also need to be capable delivering 88.2/96, as you can not run different clocks without SRC.

External ADAT preamp can work too with two toslink cables.

The total latency would be affected also from the latency of the external converters, so working at 96K that should be quicker too..

Do you know how I can read PCM4220 BB latency? (used in Audient ASP880 preamp)

Yes AFAIK latency in standalone mode is lower at higher sample rates, same latency in samples but half the time in ms. But latency is very very low at 44k too. In a live situation on a stage I would expect the latency because of speaker distance and the speed of sound to have more impact ;-)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

thanks vinark.
and what about sound? could it sound different? better? the same?

I have to say I'm always using it at 48K.

6 (edited by vinark 2019-04-11 12:52:27)

That is more a subject for discussion then a fact. 96k will allow higher frqs then 20khz, but we can't hear them, I am 57 and can hear up to 15khz. Some people claim the can hear or feel the the higher frequencies. You can always try it. If you like how it sounds, great. But my guess is that if you do a double blind test, you won't know which is 48k and which 96k.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

thanks cool