1 (edited by trapedepart 2019-05-31 05:14:31)

Topic: UCX Feature Request. On/Off Switches.

UCX is one of my favorite Interfaces for stationary applications, but if there is a way to electronically turn off some of UCX's channels to save power, it would be a big help for guys like me who demands the absolute best audio interface for extended outdoor recording sessions where UCX can only be powered by batteries. I know it can make the already intricate totalmix universe a bit more intimidating, but UCX really is the only dependable workhorse on earth that takes DC current and handles this job like no other.

Since the optical MADI port on MADIFace Pro can be switched off to save power, my fingers are crossed on this one as well. But please don't just turn off those channels and make them disappear in TMFX, this approach might require extensive reprogramming as it might break snapshot, workspace and other feature's compatibility, hurt the flexibility TMFX is famous for, and it might not decrease much of the FPGA's power consumption. Just add a few check boxes or drop down items to Fireface USB Settings Dialogue and place an indicator on affected channels in TMFX but let them respond to user interactions and everything else exactly like before. By doing this, We still get the full 18 channels of software playback, TMFX internal loopback might survive and it has zero impact on compatibility as it commands minimal modifications for the TMFX source code.

Thank you for your attention. Whether if this would be realized, I'm always grateful, for the work RME engineers had done to bring UCX to life, But my slender bank account might loose a few thousand bucks more for the extra batteries to feed UCX properly. sad

Re: UCX Feature Request. On/Off Switches.

The MADIface Pro had been designed to be able to turn off the optical MADI port to reduce power consumption. An electronic switch does that inside the unit. There is no such switch in the UCX, UC etc, so that is not possible with these units.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The MADIface Pro had been designed to be able to turn off the optical MADI port to reduce power consumption. An electronic switch does that inside the unit. There is no such switch in the UCX, UC etc, so that is not possible with these units.

By what is this triggered ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Manually, option in the Settings dialog. Usefiul because the MF Pro draws a lot of power when used with USB buspower. Such a way of powering is not part of the other units.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah ok, many thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13