Topic: USB Diagnosis Dropouts

I have an RME Digiface USB and currently am having dropouts from time to time in the "USB Diagnosis" window of the MADIdace Series Settings aplication

I was having more, but moving the Interface to its own USB port where it is the only device has made it so I only see one reported error in about 30 minutes.

What more can I check? I am running latency Mon but haven't seen anything ugly yet.

I look forward to any replies - thanks in advance!

Also, I am sooo glad to be back in RME land! Matthias and all, I have missed you guys. I rarely ever bug you anymore because your products work so well, I just tell our users "get an RME if you want to be safe" and that takes care of it.

Justin Frankel is still using the old 2003 RME HDSP I sent him to test with REAPER 13 years ago or whatever it was. And I think he actually uses it live on stage still as well. Amazing products!!!

Re: USB Diagnosis Dropouts

Did you try all USB ports of your computer ?
Preferred to use the ports coming from chipset.

Which OS ?
Which mainboard ?
Which RME driver version ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you!

I haven't tried other USB ports yet, I just moved stuff off of the ports I was using until Device manager/ show resources by connection showed that the Digiface was the only thing on that bus

I'm not positive which physical USB ports are which buss, it seems like the ones actually on the MOBO itself are all one buss. I moved everything else to the other buss which comes from cables going to the mobo. I could actually use help figuring it out maybe, but I'm not sure

I do have a PCIe USB2/3 card that is not currently in the computer, but I could put back in if you think that would help, its a PCI-E to USB 3.0 4 Port Hub Controller Adapter, Rosewill RC-508 PCI-E to USB 3.0

I'm on windows 10 64 bit

Its this motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA … -rev-10#ov

Latest digiface driver with the latest firmware update

Some USB ports from your system come from Z77 chipset. Using these ports should hopefully be no issue.

But your mainboard also has additional USB3 ports by an 3rd party chip VIA VL800.

If you look i.e. into the UFX+ manual, then the VIA VL800 chipset is being marked as incompatible.

I would assume that this could also impact you.

Try all USB ports and concentrate on those coming from chipset.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89cc3tyreaz3s9o/2019-06-17%2017_02_54-mb_manual_ga-z77x-up4_th_e.pdf%20-%20Adobe%20Reader.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My issue, is I can't tell, physically which ports those are. I'll check to see if I'm connected to the Via one when I get to work.

Is there a way to tell if this Rosewill add on USB card is via? I can't find it in their description

By looking at the specs
https://www.rosewill.com/product/rosewi … -5-0-gbps/
Renesas uPD720201

Ahh there we go, its in the Via ports! I dont see any other physical ports on this MOBO to correspond to the other USB ports shown in the diagram above. I think all of those are on header pins. Is it a bad idea to try that rosewill card?

https://i.imgur.com/mQPpm7b.png

I have my Fireface 802 on an NEC/Renesas chipset USB 3.0 port, without any issues.  I run at 48 samples buffer too.

I put the Rosewill USB card in, plugged the Digiface up to it, started working, went on OBS with a full drumset miced up and so far so good! no dropouts, thanks guys!

11 (edited by ramses 2019-06-18 06:34:42)

Congrats, by this you have fully isolated the recording interface from the rest USB infrastructure. This is IMHO still the best solution, then the likeliness for any impact is lower, when plugging USB Bluetooth adapters in and alike ...

I remember that I got USB issues after adding an USB Bluetooth adapter and USB3 Hub to my system.

Before I had two (!) UFX+, RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro running stable on a server board with Intel C612 chipset.
I had also to add an external USB card to isolate recording and voila, all stable again.

But its not a must, as long as it runs fine with the USB ports from chipset or other supported 3rd party chipsets.