Topic: UCX overloading with external Focusrite MixMaster

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect a Focusrite Platinum MixMaster to the FireFace UCX, so that it can be used as an external effect in Cubase.
But I'm finding that the output from the MixMaster overloads the inputs on the UCX, despite the levels coming out of the unit being well below peak.
I've checked that the inputs/outputs in TotalMix are correctly set to -10 or +4. The MixMaster provides outputs at both levels, and I've tried both. The UCX's inputs overload no matter what.

I've tried sending the output from the MixMaster to another unit (a standalone cd writer), and the levels are fine there.

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks,
porritta

2 (edited by ramses 2019-06-25 07:17:05)

Re: UCX overloading with external Focusrite MixMaster

How is your cabling ?

Do you use balanced cables "XLR to TRS" to connect the mixmaster to your UCX ?

Then you should be able to run at +4dBu line level.
Set the inputs and outputs of UCX accordingly.

According to the mixmaster manual:
"The MixMaster is provided with line level inputs on both XLR and 3 pole 1/4” jack
connectors: inserting a jack cord plug into the jack will override the corresponding XLR. The
nominal sensitivity of the XLR input is +4dBu to match professional equipment with balanced
outputs such as mixing consoles or professional recorders. The jack input has a nominal
sensitivity of -10dBV to match semi-professional or consumer equipment such as CD players,
DAT recorders or sound modules."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Which UCX inputs did you use? Why not try 'LoGain' as well?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've tried both balanced "XLR to TRS" for +4dBu, and also standard unbalanced jack to jack for -10.
I've checked the input sensitivities in TotalMix are set accordingly, depending on which connection I'm using.

If I'm using the +4dBu connections, the return from the MixMaster overloads the UCX inputs even if I set the inputs to 'LoGain'.

If I connect via the -10 jacks with the input set to 'LoGain', it doesn't overload any more. But by this point I feel I'd be losing a lot of fidelity once I've boosted the signal back up again.

Just to confirm - this is while playing a mix which is well below peak levels. And the MixMaster's limiters are not being activated.
So it's not that I'm actually returning an overly hot signal.

You are definitely returning an overly hot signal. Check the specs of that mixer in its manual, seems to have a lot of headroom. For example SMPTE in the US says +4 dBu gives a max level of +24 dBu. That is - in today's time- not useful, as it will overload nearly everything out there, and the tape machines this was thought for no longer exist...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME