1 (edited by fl 2019-06-27 17:14:27)

Topic: Missing RME drivers after upgrade from Win10 1803 to 1809

Prior to the Win10 upgrade, The RME Drivers for my Fireface 800 were installed and running, and I had set the Notification area of the Task Bar to display the Fireface Settings and TotalMix icons. Yes, the Legacy 1394 driver was installed, and the Fireface worked properly with Pyramix.

Following the upgrade, the icons were missing from the Notification area, and any attempt to re-install did not operate correctly (it was over far too fast - not one little piece of flying paper made it across to the other folder in the installation animation).

I looked in C:\Windows\system32 and saw no RME files. I then looked in the newly created "Windows.old" folder (created by the Win10 upgrade process), in the Windows/System32 folder there, and found six files whose names began with either "Fireface" or "TotalMixFX". I moved these into the real Windows > System32 folder and restarted the computer. Once again the icons appeared in the Notification area, and the Fireface was recognized and worked with Pyramix, so all seems well.

The question remains - did I get all the proper files?

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Re: Missing RME drivers after upgrade from Win10 1803 to 1809

Thanks for the warning.  Microsoft has become a disaster.  Looks like I'll do the 'metered connection' trick to prevent all updates until they are proven completely safe which seems to be the better part of a year these days.

I'm seriously considering switching back to Windows 7.

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

As far as what files are in C:\Windows\System32 I have:

fireface.exe
fireface.inf
fireface_asio.dll
fireface_asio_64.dll
TotalMixFX.exe
TotalMixFX.chm

I'm running Win Pro 10 x64 build 1809

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

Windows upgrades always deactivate third party drivers like ours to ensure a smooth installation process of Windows itself. Thanks to Plug&Play the only thing one has to do is replugging the unit after Windows is fully up and running again. The drivers are still there in the driver repository and will be reinstalled. Then you need to reboot one time so that the AutoStart of the systray stuff is performed.

Proof: copying those files alone doesn't install anything and won't make them load. All the related information was still in Windows.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC - when the computer re-started following the upgrade, I didn't see the icons in the notification area, and the red Connection light was illuminated on my Fireface. Fearing the worst, I tried to use the installer to re-install them, which failed. Dragging the files manually from the Windows.old folder's System32 folder to the "real" one seemed to fix things, and allowed me to uninstall and then re-install them, just to be sure. Reading your answer, I see now that all I needed to do was re-start once or twice. It seems that a lot of issues with Windows are solved by simply waiting, and then waiting some more, then a little more, finally re-starting (and re-starting, and re-starting...)

However, I now have a functioning Fireface 800 working under Win10 1809 which, due to compatibility issues with Pyramix, is where I'll be staying until the next update from Merging. This is on my "guinea pig" machine (found abandoned by the dumpster behind my apartment, which nevertheless is fully functional - some people!), where I'm testing out Win10 before actually upgrading my main work machine, which has its own issues being a Bootcamp install on a Mac Mini. When I finally get around to doing this system, I'll remember your advice, or simply uninstall the RME drivers prior to doing the upgrade, and then reinstall them once the dust settles.

Thanks everyone!

Frank Lockwood

As I read it not just restarting but unplug and plugin the cable again before the restart

I've been wary of plugging or unplugging my Firewire connections while either the computer or the Fireface is powered, since there have been reports (right here in this forum) of damage caused to the Firewire chips located close to the connection points.

Frank Lockwood

True. Luckily the FF800 has a power switch, replacing that process.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME