Topic: No Sound Using Inputs 3 & 4 (and Another Preamp)

Hi:

I just purchased a Babyface Pro and started using TotalMix.   I am new to both and having a problem getting any sound when using the line inputs on the side of the BFP. I have done lots of searching online and I read a bunch of posts from the forum, but so far I've been unable to find a solution to my problem.

I'm running Studio One 4 Pro on a PC with Windows 10.

I set the Babyface Pro input to "Ch 3/4."

I am trying to record an analog synthesizer to an audio track in Studio One (I already have a MIDI track and I'm sending that MIDI information to the synth).

I'm running the synth into my Focusrite ISA 2 preamp and running the signal from there into Inputs 3 and 4 of the RME.

The synth is reacting to the MIDI signal from the DAW and I'm getting a good input signal on the Babyface Pro.

The level on the Focusrite preamp is low (-42 dbfs), but when I turn it up, the Channel 3/4 light on the BFP input turns orange and the top bar of the BFP's input meter turns bright red.   So it looks like the problem is not a weak input signal on the BFP.

I am sending MIDI to the synth from Studio One (via a MIDI/instrument track).

When I solo the MIDI track in Studio One, I see signal on inputs 3 and 4 in TotalMix but no output signal.

When I don't solo the instrument track, I get a strong output signal on the BFP, and I hear everything in my mix except the outboard, analog synth that I'm trying to record.  So the BFP is working fine for everything in my song/mix except the MIDI track (except the synthesizer that is connected to the BFP).   

When I click into TotalMix, the audio signal dies.   This is a secondary problem---Studio One stops playing whenever I click into another application, and I've tried all the recommended solutions (release audio device, etc).   None of them work.   I can see that there was input signal on channel's 3 and 4 and no output signal.

I set up TotalMix for "straight playgback with all to Main Out."

I tried the +4dbu and -10 dbu settings.    It makes no difference.

So there is no output signal on the output meter on the Babyface unit itself or in TotalMix.

Using my old audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), and this same setup, I had no problem recording the output of this synth to an audio track in Studio One by sending the MIDI data to the synth and then running the output of the synth back to my computer via the interface.   So I want to do the same thing with the BFP.

I would really appreciate it if any of you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong----why I can't get the BFP to output the signal that is reflected on the input meter.  Is this a routing issue?   How can I get the BFP to output the signal that is showing up on the Ch 3 &4 inputs?

Thank you very much!!

Re: No Sound Using Inputs 3 & 4 (and Another Preamp)

Handboock chapter 6, check whether the BBFP is in class compliant mode, then it won't work under Windows.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Only one thing in TotalMix could stop the signal from being recorded in the DAW - that is if "Loopback" is activated on the Phones 3/4 output. This option overwrites the physical input 3/4 signals with the output signal, like connecting a virtual cable.

Please go to Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset then select Straight Playback, mix to main out again. If there is a loopback or some other corrupted state that will fix it.

Studio One stops playing whenever I click into another application, and I've tried all the recommended solutions (release audio device, etc).

That can only be a Studio One setting, nothing in the Babyface can cause this.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Cubase has a setting that will make it release the ASIO driver when in the background. Possibly something similar here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you all very much for the suggestions/advice.

I tried this again tonight, and there is some strange stuff going on here.

My input meter in the DAW (Studio One) is showing a strong, bouncing signal from Channels 3 &4 of the RME even though I'm not playing any tracks!    There should be no input signal at all.

And why would I be seeing an input signal on the RME when I'm not playing any tracks and the preamp feeding the RME line inputs is turned all the way down?   The input meter on the RME is showing a decent signal (Channels 3 and 4) even though, again, I'm not playing any tracks in the DAW so nothing is triggering the synth running into the RME.

I wonder if I'm having an electromagnetic interference problem coming from my computer into the RME through the usb cable??

I don't hear any noise, but maybe it's there anyhow.

And I find it strange that the DAW is "seeing" an input signal from the RME when the RME is not showing any output signal.

And I still don't know why there would be an input signal on the RME when I playing the track but no output signal showing up on the RME?

As a check, if I set the track in the DAW to an internal, VST instrument (instead of my analog synth), then everything works fine.   The VST instrument reacts to the MIDI data on the track and I hear it fine---and the input and output meters on the RME light up and show strong signals.

Very confusing.

6 (edited by ramses 2019-07-23 07:24:06)

I re-read your post #1.
Sorry, my post #2 was a quick shot (didnt have much time) as some time ago somebody had the issues with CC mode...

Now I see this in your post:

> I set up TotalMix for "straight playgback with all to Main Out."

This reset function sets only the SW playback channels (middle row) to 0dB for the "Main Out" submix,
but the HW inputs (top row) will all be turned down.

Make sure that you enabled submix mode in TM FX (upper right).
Select the Main Out channel (bottom line in the TM FX Control room) by clicking to it with left mouse key.

I am pretty sure that you won't see any fader turned up under HW inputs in the top row.
But you should see the signal coming in at HW inputs AN 3/4 from your external device. If you do not see any signal arriving in TM FX, HW input AN3/4 (top row), when you are playing on your synth, then there is something wrong between either synth and focusrite preamp or focusrite and RME recording interface.

In terms of routing, what you need to do: assumed you have still selected "Main Out" in submix mode, simply raise the faders of AN 3/4 and you will hear the sound.

You need to know only a few basic working principles of TM FX.

1. Signals that arrive on the inputs of your recording interface are shown in TM FX in the Top Row "HW Inputs".
Input signals are always passed through to the application like DAW.
TM FX's Mute button is only active for submixes (HW outputs) to which the input is being routed.

2. To make routing easier use TM FX's "submix mode".
To route a signal to a HW output (also called "submix") you only need to select the HW output by clicking to it with the left mouse key and then raise or lower the faders of
- HW inputs (top row) = everything which is connected to the inputs of your recording interface
- SW playback channels (middle row) = everything which comes from applications or the Operating System

I put together the basic steps to setup TM FX / a recording interface in this blog article, its available in german and english on the same page: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

I also put together very helpful RME tutorial videos (most in english, one in french) which are up to the point and also a big time saver to become familiar with TM FX: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

As I said, once you understand the basic principles of TM FX operation, then you will see that it is very easy to use to get even more complex submixes done. I personally created a parallel effect loop for my Marshall with an UFX+ and some more stuff which really goes with ease.

I hope this helps you to get the routing issues solved now. Good luck.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses, thank you very much for the super detailed response.    And thanks to the others who have offered suggestions as well.

At first, I was baffled because the submix mode was not showing up anywhere in TotalMix----I could not find it!   Nowhere to select it.  So then I went on You-Tube and watched one of the RME intro to TotalMix videos . . . and I realized that the Submix mode button does not show up unless you are in the full version of the software (not DAW mode).  So I switched to the full mode and . . . voila, I was able to hear my synth playing the MIDI track from within the DAW !!!    All I did was to switch from DAW mode to the full mode and the problem was solved instantly!!!

How ironic that my problem in getting the DAW to work with the Babyface Pro was simply that I had TotalMix set to DAW mode !!!!!    So my message to other true TotalMix newbies like myself would be . . . if you want this interface to work with your DAW, do not choose DAW mode!   

I should add that when I switched to the full mode, Submix Mode was already selected.   I did not do anything; I just switched to the full TotalMix operation mode and then tried to run my MIDI track and it worked perfectly.

I'm going to re-read your response; I need to try to understand why this is working in the full mode but would not work in DAW mode.   

Much appreciated!

8 (edited by ramses 2019-07-24 07:04:44)

DAW mode bypasses most functions of TotalMix FX.
DAW mode was a whish from users who want to perform routing tasks exclusively inside of their DAW.
It must have been selected by you (potentially "by accident") because TM FX starts usually in the normal operation mode.

DAW mode is described in the manual chapter 25: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bface_pro_e.pdf

And I updated today my TM FX primer to add two important prerequisites, see new point 0.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/