1 (edited by KKZ 2019-09-03 15:40:49)

Topic: Ways to raise mic input volume other than gain?

Hello all! Brand new to RME and a bit inept when it comes to audio tech so please bear with me.

I just bought a Babyface Pro for voice over. Before the Babyface my setup was a Neumann TLM 103 into an Aphex 230 Master Channel into a Focusrite 2i2. With that setup my noise floor was non existant and my voice levels easily fell in the -6 to-12 range without normalization. I was told that the Babyface was going to be such a step up from my 2i2 that I may not even need my aphex anymore.

So far I'm noticing that when I record using the babyface pro, the levels are waaaaay too low. I have the phantom power on but my levels are reaching only about - 30 or so. If I start cranking the gain, my noise floor skyrockets and my recordings are no good.

I have found Totalmix to be overwhelming, so I could really use some suggestions.  I'm sure there is something in the program that I haven't tried. Any suggestions on what I can do?

And if indeed I do need the Aphex to get my levels higher, what is the best way to hook it up to the babyface pro and use it rather than the Babyface pro preamp?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Ways to raise mic input volume other than gain?

Toggle the PAD setting in the mic channel. It might be active although it says not.

And did you also try the other input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-09-03 16:07:09)

Only to mention it ...

Is it ensured that you speak / sing into the proper direction of the Mic ?

From manual:  "The TLM  103 is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo."

A forum colleague of mine in a recording forum always mentions this in such cases so this appears to be a relatively typical mistake.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Only to mention it ...

Is it ensured that you speak / sing into the proper direction of the Mic ?

From manual:  "The TLM  103 is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo."

A forum colleague of mine in a recording forum always mentions this in such cases so this appears to be a relatively typical mistake.

Definitely using the right side of the mic. At least that much I know smile

MC wrote:

Toggle the PAD setting in the mic channel. It might be active although it says not.

Thanks for your suggestions! As soon as I can get to my studio I will try both and report back!

MC wrote:

Hi again!
So I tried the other input, same issue persists.
I've also tried toggling the pad, the volume is still way too low.

Any other suggestions of things I might try?

I am wondering that the TLM 103  is not delivering enough level for you.

If you look at TM FX HW input and in your DAW.
Do you see the same input level ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

KKZ wrote:

I have found Totalmix to be overwhelming, so I could really use some suggestions.

In addition to the TotalMix FX chapters in the manual I can offer to you

My step by step primer and a collection of RME tutorial videos:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

ramses wrote:

Hi again!

Input looks the same in both.

The tlm worked really well with my 2i2/aphex setup, I'm hoping I can get it to work well with the Babyface pro.

And thank you, I'll definitely be checking the links out!

KKZ wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hi again!

The tlm worked really well with my 2i2/aphex setup, I'm hoping I can get it to work well with the Babyface pro.

And you are using the RME ASIO driver in your DAW ? Which DAW is it, what do you have selected as driver ?

The 103 is a reasonably sensitive mic, i.e. does provide good levels, and low noise. The BF Pro preamps are also not the source of the noise you observe...
Have you still got the Aphex available, can you compare levels at equal gain settings?
Did you activate compression and gate on this device? That would have an influence, obviously.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ramses wrote:
KKZ wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hi again!

And you are using the RME ASIO driver in your DAW ? Which DAW is it, what do you have selected as driver ?

Using Adobe Audition 3.0, audio driver is "ASIO FireFace USB." The DAW and Babyface pro seem to be connected just fine, I'm just not getting the volume I'm used to.

RME Support wrote:

The 103 is a reasonably sensitive mic, i.e. does provide good levels, and low noise. The BF Pro preamps are also not the source of the noise you observe...
Have you still got the Aphex available, can you compare levels at equal gain settings?
Did you activate compression and gate on this device? That would have an influence, obviously.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I haven't got the Aphex set up yet, I was testing out the RME by itself because it was mentioned to me that the Babyface  Pro might completely remove my need for the Aphex. So I am just trying to get it set up right, the unit seems great. My thought is that I'm missing something along the way.

Thinking about whether the TLM or the BBFP has an issue.

Do you have another mic or XLR cable that you can experiment further ?

Did you buy the BBFP new, so that you could contact seller, give this back and get a new one ?

One additional idea.

Maybe your USB port doesn't deliver enough power.

Could you try to connect a power supply according to RME specification to it ?
NT-RME-2:
9-14 V DC with at least 1A. The  connector needs to have – outside, + inside.