Topic: ff400 in stand alone to Fireface UC via Adat

Hello all,

I have a question regarding Adat. I have a ff400 which seems to have a broken firewire connection.
I would like to hook this up to a fireface UC. I have connected the Adat cable and the word clock cable.
The have send a signal in the ff400 and sometimes I see the signal coming in on the led's next to the input.
But it also happens that the word clock start to blink and afters I dont see the signal coming in.

Could someone help me with the basics for the Adat setup. Here a questions that come to mind.

1. How do I know the ff400 is in stand alone mode?
2. Is it ok? If the red Host led on the ff400 is on all the time?
3. How do I configure the ff400 Analog ins to Adat out in stand alone mode.
3. How do I configure the UC/Totalmix so I can record the channels from the ff400?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

2 (edited by ramses 2019-09-05 09:49:04)

Re: ff400 in stand alone to Fireface UC via Adat

A look into the manual would answer most of your questions esp in regards to stand alone operation.

Standalone operation is to operate the unit without Firewire connection.

But if your Firewire connection is broken, how do you configure a proper routing for standalone operation ? Or you need to be quick to configure everything as long as Firewire is working.

You do not need WC. TOSLINK cable to the FF400 and then get clock from ADAT input. Saves you one wire.

Consult your manual in terms of standalone operation. I think it either boots with the last config or you have to store the config into the device.

The manual is your friend ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks! I already checked it a bit. But was not sure the soundcard was already in standalone mode when the firewire is not connected. Was a bit misleaded by the red led at HOST. But will go deeper into the manual today!

Do I need two TOS Link cables then as you mention the ff400 gets the clock from the ADAT input.

The current setup is:
- 1 TOSLINK cable from the ff400 ADAT output to ADAT input from the UC
- 1 Wordclock cable from the UC CLOCK OUT to the FF400 CLOCK IN.

For transmitting clock you need only 1 TOSLINK cable from the clock master to the FF400 as clock slave. Then you can use the FF400 for D/A. Use a 2nd TOSLINK cable for the opposite direction.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13