Topic: ARC USB midi oddity when connected to computer

Hello,

I've used the ARC USB with a UFX+ for a while.  Now I need to use it with a UFX which does not have the built-in usb port for the remote so I plugged it directly into the computer and it functions correctly.  Midi monitor indicates a large quantity of midi messages passing through the computer which concerns me, I'm not sure whether that's going to be detrimental to performance.  I recognize midi is low bandwidth and Activity Monitor's cpu usage fluctuations are not obvious as far as I can tell.

- Approximately 50 midi messages per second continuously from the ARC USB.
- MacOS 10.12.6
- UFX driver 3.14
- In the ARC commands of TotalMix I attempted to disable various things but that does not affect the stream of midi messages, it even does it without TotalMix or an RME interface attached.

Is this normal?  Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Hugh

Re: ARC USB midi oddity when connected to computer

That is fully normal. As you are on Mac apply the ARC USB firmware update and check the 'only use SysEx' option in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ARC USB midi oddity when connected to computer

Hello Mattias,

Thank you for the response, I updated the ARC and selected SysEx in TM.  Now it transmits at approximately 0.97 messages per second.  Payload is 10 bytes but at a significantly slower rate which appears to be an improvement and after reading the reason for the change it makes sense.

Thanks,
Hugh