Topic: Undecided between Adi2 Pro or DAC

Hi Guys,

will soon be a proud owner of one of these models but still undecided, from what i gathered found that the DAC version is more oriented for HiFi and Pro for Studio. Im a electronic music producer and its very rare to record any audio, also found that the Pro version has headphone balanced outputs and DAC has unbalanced.

So one question and considering i use a lot my Audeze LCD-X, would be better to have the Adi2 Pro version? Does the difference in price really makes the difference between both outputs?

Also have another question, my soundcard has a very handy MONO button, so is the access menu hard to navigate to this option? If it takes too long its something that will take in consideration. Noticed that the DAC version comes with a remote control that takes care of this by pressing 1, any easy option or programable option to have Mono on the fly?

2 (edited by jiw 2019-09-15 01:12:37)

Re: Undecided between Adi2 Pro or DAC

djoder wrote:

Hi Guys,

will soon be a proud owner of one of these models but still undecided, from what i gathered found that the DAC version is more oriented for HiFi and Pro for Studio. Im a electronic music producer and its very rare to record any audio, also found that the Pro version has headphone balanced outputs and DAC has unbalanced.

So one question and considering i use a lot my Audeze LCD-X, would be better to have the Adi2 Pro version? Does the difference in price really makes the difference between both outputs?

Also have another question, my soundcard has a very handy MONO button, so is the access menu hard to navigate to this option? If it takes too long its something that will take in consideration. Noticed that the DAC version comes with a remote control that takes care of this by pressing 1, any easy option or programable option to have Mono on the fly?

The rated impedance of the LCD-X is 20 Ohm. According to the Pro manual section 34.14 on p. 81, at that impedance the unsymmetrical/unbalanced phones output produces about 1.3 W whereas the symmetrical/balanced phones output produces about 1.5 W which means a 0.5 dB difference in peak SPL. The (unsymmetrical/unbalanced) Phones outputs in the DAC and Pro are identical.

The LCD-X has a rated sensitivity of 103 dB SPL at 1 mW. The possible peak SPL using the unsymmetrical output would thus be 134.2 dB SPL whereas using the symmetrical output it would be 134.7 dB SPL.

Using the Remap keys function, Mono can be enabled/disabled with the press of a button. Pro manual section 14 on p. 26. DAC manual section 14 on p. 25.

Manual Pro: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf
Manual DAC: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

3 (edited by ramses 2019-09-15 10:13:30)

I would take the Pro for Studio use because the unit offers more flexibility

The Pro model has
- two D/A converter (you can listen to two phones at the same time, i.e. for comparison)
- supports AES (in and out) which is a studio standard which you might need well to connect ADI-2 Pro with another device or RME recording interface
- analog inputs where you might have a use case in the future
- digital outputs (AES, optical and coaxial ), the DAC has only digital inputs

I would even recommend a combination of RME recording interface so that you have TM FX
for routing purposes and can even connect an ARC USB.

For example these combinations would be great, by using cards with (mostly/only) digital ports:
a) per USB
- Digiface USB
- ADI-2 Pro FS (connected via ADAT)
- ARC USB
b) as you work ITB to have least latencies
- RayDAT
- ADI-2 Pro FS
- ARC USB

I am personally using both, ADI-2 Pro FS BE and ADI-2 DAC and am very satisfied with the combination of recording interface and those two units.

My setup in short, maybe you like it as an idea / a vision how to connect the different things with each other.

1) Studio corner
ADI-2 Pro FS BE, connected via AES behind an UFX+
From the UFX+ I have 15m TOSLINK cable towards HiFi Corner (ADI-2 DAC)

2) HiFi Corner
- Oehlbach Optosel TOSLINK Switcher 4:1 (modified to really support 192 kHz, the normal model only support 96 kHz)
  By this I can switch between up to 4 digital sources
  a- from UFX+ (Studio corner)
  b- from BluRay Player
  c- from TV
- TOSLINK switcher is connected to ADI-2 DAC SPDIF IN
- ADI-2 DAC is connected by Analog Out to HiFi

By this I have a very nice and useful connection from Studio to HiFi corner to have "Monitor B" by this.

You can later even enhance your solution, if you have also a recording interface.
Lets put an example: you want to have 2 Monitors at your working place, one bigger more expensive and another one for contrast and additionally the HiFi to look how it sounds with a good HiFi.

I could think of the following solution using:
- RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro FS, ARC USB, ADI-2 DAC (HiFi corner)

Cabling:
- RayDAT - ADAT1 OUT - Monitor A -> via ADI-2 Pro FS
               - ADAT2 OUT - Monitor B -> via ADI-2 FS (the new ADDA converter that will soon come out)
               - ADAT4 OUT - to HiFi -> ADI-2 DAC
- ARC USB to smoothly control TM FX of RayDAT

I think this way you are far more flexible and can work much smoother by using ARC USB to control TM FX control room.

Instead of the RayDAT you can also use the Digiface USB
- to save some costs
- to have an USB connection instead of needing PCIe inside of computer.

You can start small now with one component (ADI-2 Pro FS) and later grow, this is also an option.

All components mentioned above have the great AKM chips built inside for best D/A conversion.

RayDAT or DIGIface USB give you the flexibility of TM FX on top.
With TM FX you have it much easier in terms of routing and
A TM FX capable interface is required to be able to integrate the ARC USB into your setup.

See also these blog articles that I wrote which describe the use cases how I use this equipment.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/

Some nice features of RayDAT and Digiface USB:
- ARC USB support by TM FX
- Digiface USB: ALL 4 ADAT ports can be switch to optical SPDIF protocol to i.e. drive/use/test different D/A converter
- RayDAT: fully separate AES port and WC module if eventually required

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I only need one soundcard/DAC think im going with the Pro just in case a line in will be needed, many thanks for the suggestions!

Start with one unit.
If you think you would need TM FX at a certain point (I personally would miss it):
get i.e. Digiface USB and best also ARC USB ... can be done at any later point.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13