Topic: Fireface UFX Noise on analog line inputs when microphones connected

I'm having a strange issue (at least for me) with my RME Fireface UFX. Whenever I have microphones connected on the mic inputs of the device I'm having a noise on the analog inputs. It's not a continuing kind of noise, but appears when there is only a little signal on any analog channel. So for example on a tom track there is a mid freq noise just when the sustain of the instrument is going away and also when other parts of the kit are leaking in that particular mic. Just to give an example. When I don't have any mic connected in the UFX mic inputs, everything is fine in my analog inputs.

Somebody has experience on this one or similar?

Re: Fireface UFX Noise on analog line inputs when microphones connected

All 4 behave identical? A defective mic input can sound like this - mild, low distortion, no complete fail...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank You for your reply.

All 4 behave identical - I mean - there is no any kind of noise on UFX Preamps but when a mic is connected in any of the, there is noise in the stuff connected to the same devices analog line inputs. Only when there is not any mic connected on any of the UFX:s mic ins 9-12, the signal in the analog line inputs 1-8 is clean. So the problem is not any input as an individual but some weird behaviour between the stuff connected on Mic Inputs interfering somehow with the signal coming in from the analog inputs.

It might help to provide a sound example. Also do you have other mic pres to compare, or a gate function activated in TM FX or your DAW

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've tried it with 5 different series 500 preamps and to avoid the possibility of it being a problem with the series 500 chassis, I have tried it with from my Mackie mixer preamp from direct out. So it seems no to be sensitive on which kind of preamp is connected to the UFX. There should not be any noise gates in the signal path.

6 (edited by Mo-Chuisle 2019-09-19 09:18:32)

Here is a link for an example.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3a13b1 … 039/7c743e

It is Kick In mic so I cut out the actual kick accent as it is pretty loud, but you can hear the difference in the tail part and in the snare leakage. The Kick In mic signal comes from the Mackie mixer directly to the UFX analog in number 6 (the analog in doesn't matter, the problem happens in every analog in in UFX). In the clean version there are no mics connected on UFX:s mic inputs but in the noise version there are 2 Beyerdynamic M160's and 2 DPA 4061's on the UFX:s mic inputs 9-12. Anyway the signal on the samples comes directly from the Pro Tools Kick In channel to the main out and is soloed so the anything from the mic inputs is not leaking to the samples but the difference is that something happens inside my UFX that put's noise on the kick channel on the analog in when I connect some mic to the mic inputs.

Hope there is some solution.

Best regards,

Karo

If this is an issue with the UFX then there is only one way to fix it: send the unit in with a good error description (including the sound samples). The effect is easy to hear so it should be reproducible with standard measurement gear.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, I'll find out who does RME service in Madrid, Spain and get in touch with them.

Thank you for your replies,

Best regards