HDSPe MADI FX (1,5k€)
Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX (1,1k€) + ADI2 FS (0,7k€)
1. you could also consider to get the ARC USB for this setup, its very comfortably to work with.
2. Please note: you can't connect the ADI-2 FS to the HDSPe MADI FX, as the HDSPe card has no ADAT and the ADI-2 FS card does not support MADI.
If you should plan to cascasde the ADI-2 FS behind i.e. ADI-2 Pro's ADAT port makes no sense, you only would forward the same audio stream and have no possibility to switch. The ADI-2 Pro has also its own analog IN.
Also consider, for High End Monitoring you have already your ADI-2 Pro FS (-> Phones, -> Speakers).
And for recording your Synth's and other analog sources the inputs of either UFX+ and Pulse 16 MX should be fully sufficient.
If you want you can test analog recording between ADI-2 Pro and Pulse 16MX ..
Then compare, please at same levels and as blind test whether you can hear a difference.
As I already mentioned, the UFX+ would be more flexible with
- 8 analog I/O, each port switchable to an unique reference level
- 2 ADAT ports
- AES port (shared with ADAT2)
- 2 phones outputs
- 4 Mic Inputs which can also be used as INSTR inputs, with Autoset feature
- Standalone Operation
- Class Compliant support
I recommend proactively, to get this USB3 card with FL1100 chip to fully isolate USB3 for UFX+ to be on the very safe side and to make use of the more efficient MSI interrupt scheme (message signalled interrupts):
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html
Under Win10 a driver for FL1100 is already integrated, it only requires a PCIe x1 Socket.
The UFX+ manual tells you that FL1100 USB3 chip is fully supported with UFX+.
You can even use a 5m USB cable which gives you much more flexibility in positioning the recording rack,
if you use this high quality Lindy USB3 cable which has 3 shields:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07F6W … &psc=1
If I were you I would order both solutions (UFX+ and HDSPe MADI FX) to see the benefits of both devices
and then decide based on knowledge not "gut feeling".
Get in contact with i.e. Thomann, tell them that you are undecided, you have 30d money back.
For the setup:
- you can connect both devices to your PC, UFX+ and HDSPe MADI FX
- you can create a MADI Ring connecting all devices: UFX+ -> Pulse 16M -> HDSPe MADI FX -> UFX+
- only need to setup UFX+ routing in one TM FX instance
- HDSPe MADI FX routing in the other TM FX instance
- for windows sound you need to create 1 WDM driver in both cards both appear in Windows sound
- for ARC USB you need to deactivate it in the recording interface that you do not intend to use
This way you can test the whole setup very efficient.
You would only need to connect your ADI-2 Pro in standalone mode via AES
- one time to the UFX+
- one time via HDSPe MADI FX depending on what you test
As optical MADI cable I recommend you an OM4 Multimode cable, which is also common in the network area,
like also described in this article, there you can see some infos about MADI setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/
You need one 0,5m cable for MADI cabling between UFX+ and Pulse 16M
and a longer one to your PC between UFX+/Pulse16M, if you have 5m USB cable, then also use 5m OM4 cable
https://www.reichelt.de/duplex-jumper-s … p;&r=1
https://www.reichelt.de/duplex-jumper-s … ct=vrt_pdn
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9734), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE