Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 27/32, Pro 213/96 - Fix it!

First of all we would like to apologize. Due to various circumstances you had to wait much longer for fixes of known issues than is usual with RME. From summer holidays to a long time of searching the reason behind the dreaded 'single sample left channel click' (this alone had cost us three weeks) there were many delays. On a positive side we used the time to fix even so far unknown issues, and of course couldn't stop to further improve both DAC and Pro!

Flashback: last firmware versions released were ADI-2 Pro 193/94

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28859

and shortly thereafter the big DAC Remote it! initiative with version 26/30

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28980

Since then we received very useful feedback, resulting in the new DSP versions 96 for the Pro and 32 for the DAC. The FPGA for the Pro jumps to 213 and 27 for the DAC.

These updates include important fixes and are therefore highly recommended!

ADI-2 DAC

- Optimized the internal mute control (click suppression on sample rate changes)

- Dim did not work as expected at the Line Out when AutoRef was active

Topic Remote:

- Command Mono did not work

- Command VOL is now fully supported (short click mute)

- The display could start to flicker when using various commands in a quick, sequential order

- Remapping and Remote: DA Filter showed the expected message, but in reality Crossfeed was switched

- Reduced DarkScreen timeout when triggered by remote

Menu improvement:

- Renamed Hardware/Diagnosis to Remap Keys / Diagnosis

- Renamed Device Mode to Phones / DSD

The latter sounds like nothing special, but after many updates those menu names were no longer describing the content of these two menus correctly. With this simple change it should be much easier to remember and find the desired functions. The same applies to the ADI-2 Pro, see below.

ADI-2 Pro (list is valid for all its iterations):

- Added M/S-Processing option to the Analog Input Settings menu

- Added DIM function (Settings menu and Remap Keys)

- Fixed the internal mute control (broken since v193)

- After power-off and -on DualVolume mode was reactivated, but the individual volume settings got lost

- Phones Out 3/4, Settings, Source: Removed choice USB 3/4 when in Stereo mode

- Renamed Hardware/Diagnosis to SPDIF / Remap Keys

- Renamed Device Mode to Device Mode / DSD

- Renamed Phones <==> Line to Toggle Ph/Line to use the same name everywhere

- Fixed the 32 bit clipping module for the analog outputs (for levels higher than 0 dBFS. Broken since v193)

- Fixed multiple resets when changing from 16x DSD to 8x DSD (no audible issue)

General, DAC and Pro

- New pre-mute function for PCM (click suppression on sample rate changes)

- Switching EQ On/Off caused EQ band 5 to change its function

- The ADAT input could activate De-emphasis (treble attenuation) for the analog outputs unintentionally

Firmware downloads

Win:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

Mac:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

Windows: If you need to install the driver for the flash process and uninstall it again:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 81#p135881

As always updated manuals are available for download on our website:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf

As some DAC users wondered about the M/S Process option I added a chapter about this feature to both manuals.

Enjoy!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 27/32, Pro 213/96 - Fix it!

And because we are living in times of YouTube, here is a link to the latest ADI-2 Pro and DAC video, showing some of the improvements that our firmware updates brought to these units. This video was shot a few weeks ago, therefore does not show the latest renamed menu entries. Yeah, the filming guys really hate us smile

DE:
https://youtu.be/RZALSsWQcO0

EN:
https://youtu.be/aVoPepgrtfs

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by captblaze 2019-09-24 15:28:16)

after update with unit in auto dark mode. display no longer illuminates when volume knob is rotated.

New feature or Bug?

edit - encoders do light up the display when rotated, but not volume knob

2nd edit - upon further rotating volume knob and encoders does not engage the display... pressing the volume knob and encoders engages display

You have Show Volume Screen set to off. So why should it go on then?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by captblaze 2019-09-24 16:32:03)

I have the volume screen set to on.

with older firmware I could turn the volume knob and the display would engage, now it does not.

all I did was update to the latest firmware  (device ADI2 DAC) and made no changes to settings

downgrade to v. 30 corrects issue

Hi

It works !

Great !

Cool thank you !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

captblaze wrote:

Then you have either the Dark Volume Screen or the Dark Details screen active. In these there is no Volume screen shown when adjusting volume, so Dark mode stays active.

I will put this on our wish list to interrupt AutoDark with these two screens as well, but technically if that worked before then it was a bug.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Small topic on the whishlist:

In Balanced phone, Low power is actually a tenth of a dB over 13dBu.
Would be great to set it to +12.99 dBu or so (just lower than +13dBu input).

MC wrote:
captblaze wrote:

Then you have either the Dark Volume Screen or the Dark Details screen active. In these there is no Volume screen shown when adjusting volume, so Dark mode stays active.

I will put this on our wish list to interrupt AutoDark with these two screens as well, but technically if that worked before then it was a bug.

dark mode enabled / volume screen on

any version prior to v. 32 worked as I described screen goes off - rotate volume knob, white ring lights up and display shows last screen used (turning encoders does the same)

after v. 32 (same settings) turning volume knob or encoders- no light ring or display - press volume knob or encoders display lights as in previous version.

this change occurred post v. 32 and not prior

for now I will continue with v. 30 to keep the settings as I prefer

Can you please tell us which screen you are using doing so?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by ramses 2019-09-25 07:20:07)

MC wrote:

And because we are living in times of YouTube, here is a link to the latest ADI-2 Pro and DAC video, showing some of the improvements that our firmware updates brought to these units. This video was shot a few weeks ago, therefore does not show the latest renamed menu entries. Yeah, the filming guys really hate us smile

DE:
https://youtu.be/RZALSsWQcO0

EN:
https://youtu.be/aVoPepgrtfs

Really nice overview and to see how much additional value RME added to this product over the last 3 (!!) years.
And these were only the most important updates ...

I added this to the list of RME product videos in my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Videos-EN/

If I find some more time, then I plan to add the Synthax videos as well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av75bi0GBFEgm4pPBcp … Q?e=J0c7fT

it makes no sense to adjust a value and not see what you are adjusting to

this screen (and which ever one I was using last) is what I see for every version prior to v. 32 while adjusting the volume or bass/treble values

MC, your Pro manual does not introduce the DIM function at all.

I also read the DAC manual, and find it difficult to understand it. What's the purpose of it? What kind if problem does it solve?

captblaze wrote:

this screen (and which ever one I was using last) is what I see for every version prior to v. 32 while adjusting the volume or bass/treble values

You don't need to repeat your view in every post. I already wrote that this 'feature' will come back. Ok?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ning wrote:

MC, your Pro manual does not introduce the DIM function at all.

I also read the DAC manual, and find it difficult to understand it. What's the purpose of it? What kind if problem does it solve?

Some users don't want to mute, they want to temporarily lower the volume. That's all. No one needs to use it if he don't need it. Some will.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
captblaze wrote:

You don't need to repeat your view in every post. I already wrote that this 'feature' will come back. Ok?

Since you discounted my initial report I felt it necessary to reaffirm my description. perhaps next time I choose a company that makes an effort to work with customers in a more professional manner

captblaze wrote:

after update with unit in auto dark mode. display no longer illuminates when volume knob is rotated.

2nd edit - upon further rotating volume knob and encoders does not engage the display... pressing the volume knob and encoders engages display

Same here. Change came with ver. 32

joachim.herbert wrote:
captblaze wrote:

Yes I agree happens to me too.

I quite like the Auto Dark mode meaning the display stays off. If you need to get the display to come on, you can press the big volume button twice (which goes to 3/4 and then back to 1/2) or press the up then down encoders, or press the small vol button three times.

Previously there was no way to keep the screen black, so I like the new v32 approach.

Dominic

21 (edited by Siemak 2019-09-28 20:20:04)

Guys, I don't know what are you talking about. I'm running v32 and the display iluminates (Auto Dark Mode ON, Vol screen ON)  while rotating any of 3 encoders.

For me everything works well.

giacomino76 wrote:
joachim.herbert wrote:
captblaze wrote:

I wanted to add my voice because I am having the same issue, yet I really like the AutoDark feature and would like to continue to use it.

I HAVE verified that Show Vol. is set to ON.

Prior to ver. 32, when I would turn the volume knob or other encoder knobs, as said earlier, the screen would come on and I could adjust the volume.

Now, turning the volume knob does not turn the screen on so you cannot see what adjustments you are making until you turn Autodark off.

If we could have this feature work the way it did previously it would be much appreciated. This combination of features was something I use often with the Dac. Thanks

23 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 07:56:38)

Siemak wrote:

Guys, I don't know what are you talking about. I'm running v32 and the display iluminates (Auto Dark Mode ON, Vol screen ON)  while rotating any of 3 encoders.

For me everything works well.

Agree, same for me.

With ADI-2 Pro FS BE with v96 and ADI-2 DAC with v32 it works for me as expected:

Auto Dark Mode + Show Vol Screen ON
  -> turning any encoder or pushing any knob reactivates display

Auto Dark Mode + Show Vol Screen OFF
  -> turning Volume encoder doesn't activate display (*)
  -> turning B/T encoder or pushing any knob activates display

(*) because turning the volume knob issues no real screen activity, as you turned it off

If you do not want this behaviour, then only use Auto Dark Mode and set Show Vol Screen to ON.
And this works perfect on both units, also when turning the big Vol knob.

The only difference between the two units is that the ADI-2 DAC can also deactivate the light ring at the power ring and the ADI-2 Pro FS / BE not.

Robertm394 wrote:
giacomino76 wrote:
joachim.herbert wrote:

I HAVE verified that Show Vol. is set to ON.

Prior to ver. 32, when I would turn the volume knob or other encoder knobs, as said earlier, the screen would come on and I could adjust the volume.

Now, turning the volume knob does not turn the screen on so you cannot see what adjustments you are making until you turn Autodark off.

This is strange, because I just tested it on both of my units (ADI-2 Pro FS BE and ADI-2 DAC):

AutoDark Mode    -> ON
Show Vol. Screen -> ON

Turning big Vol encoder and B/T encoder reactivate the display.

The issue is only with Dark Volume and Details screen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

26 (edited by Siemak 2019-09-29 08:55:53)

MC wrote:

I wouldn't say that's issue. When the display is toggled to Detail Screen (black and white colours) then Detail Screen shows up as expected.   When Volume Screen toggled - also shows up as expected.  It's obvious that the display shows what you have toggled before.
Any toggled lately screen shows up while rotating encoders or operating by remote.

I can't believe our units behave in different ways. I say again - running v32 on my ADI-2 DAC - everything works fine for me.

Or maybe we completely misunderstand each other?

27 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 09:49:22)

Siemak wrote:
MC wrote:

I wouldn't say that's issue. When the display is toggled to Detail Screen (black and white colours) then Detail Screen shows up as expected.   When Volume Screen toggled - also shows up as expected.  It's obvious that the display shows what you have toggled before.
Any toggled lately screen shows up while rotating encoders or operating by remote.

I can't believe our units behave in different ways. I say again - running v32 on my ADI-2 DAC - everything works fine for me.

I am currently searching in the manual, whats meant by details screen but do not find this term.
So I can't neither understand nor reproduce it.
Currently I see no issue.

28 (edited by Robertm394 2019-09-29 23:28:46)

MC wrote:

Matthias, in every other release, with AutoDark enabled, turning the volume or other knobs has caused the screen to temporarily light up so you can see what changes you've made.

If I have AutoDark enabled, and Show Vol. set to on, what other setting(s) do I need to change to bring the above behavior back?

ramses wrote:
Siemak wrote:
MC wrote:

I am currently searching in the manual, whats meant by details screen but do not find this term.
So I can't neither understand nor reproduce it.
Currently I see no issue.

On page 28, chapter 15.1 smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Robertm394 wrote:
MC wrote:

Matthias, in every other release, with AutoDark enabled, turning the volume or other knobs has caused the screen to temporarily light up so you can see what changes you've made.

If I have AutoDark enabled, and Show Vol. set to on, what other setting(s) do I need to change to bring the above behavior back?

It works like that unless you have Dark Volume or Details screen active during AutoDark. You even quoted that. Don't know how to make this more clear.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

I hate looking like that guy who only registers to complain, but well...I have only owned the DAC for about two weeks ;o)

I'd appreciate it if the previous behavior (screen lights up upon volume change in Dark Volume screen) could be implemented again in a future FW version.

Even if the previous behavior technically was a bug, for my application (home stereo) it's the most aesthetically pleasing by far. Since applying the new FW, I have the choice between getting no visual feedback when changing the volume, or using a different top screen (with information I rarely need) and then be subjected to a volume screen that is very ...colorful, even if the dark theme is enabled.

[BTW - the user manual calls the dark display mode both 'dark scheme' and 'dark theme', which is a little confusing. I think it would make sense to settle on a single name; this also would make searching the pdf easier.]

[BTW II - as far as performance is concerned, I couldn't be happier...this is an awesome little device!]

Regards,

Rolf

32 (edited by Robertm394 2019-09-30 18:44:07)

MC wrote:
Robertm394 wrote:
MC wrote:

It works like that unless you have Dark Volume or Details screen active during AutoDark. You even quoted that. Don't know how to make this more clear.

Matthias, the problem is this is new and undesirable behavior with this release.

In prior versions, turning the volume knob even on the Dark Volume screen would turn AutoDark off briefly and show the Dark Volume screen so you can see what the volume setting is.

Now it stays off and this is not helpful. It is a big step backward in terms of AutoDark functionality.

You have many customers on this very thread commenting on the same thing.

In a future release we would like to have the old functionality back please. AutoDark should temporarily turn off/the screen should turn back on any time one of the knobs (volume, 1, 2) is turned, regardless of what screen it's on.

Thanks.

33 (edited by ramses 2019-09-30 20:39:02)

Please look, MC said already in #8: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 27#p145527
that this is now on wishlist. So all is fine, relax.

"Then you have either the Dark Volume Screen or the Dark Details screen active. In these there is no Volume screen shown when adjusting volume, so Dark mode stays active.

I will put this on our wish list to interrupt AutoDark with these two screens as well,
but technically if that worked before then it was a bug.
"

34 (edited by Nativebon 2019-09-30 20:38:26)

When starting up my ADI-2 DAC shows version V.32.. Still my EQ is not resetting after factory reset.. Please wht am I doing wrong.

There are two resets described in the manual.

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

36 (edited by Robertm394 2019-10-03 04:20:06)

It is not accurate that the AutoDark issue only occurs on Dark Volume or Details screens.

It now occurs on most screens I've tested it on.

For example, on the I/O screen when I want to adjust DA filter settings using knob 2, it will not turn on the screen when the knob is turned like it used to. It seems to me that none of the three knobs turn on the screen for a few seconds when in AutoDark mode like they used to.

The way it worked on every other release was that turning these knobs on (any screen I tested) would turn the screen on for a few seconds, and then it would turn off again.

We would like this functionality back please on a future update, it was a big part what made AutoDark a very useful and preferred feature.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Robertm394 wrote:

For example, on the I/O screen when I want to adjust DA filter settings using knob 2, it will not turn on the screen when the knob is turned like it used to.

If the screen was turned on via the encoders then you either saw B/T or Volume screen. If Show Vol Screen is set to Off then the current Top screen (!) will be shown. You seem to think that it should show the DA Filter setting, but that was never the case - the moment the screen goes dark the menu is left and the current Top screen becomes active.

What would work is that you push the I/O button - then you are indeed back to the DA-filter setting. That still works with the current firmware as well.

Anyway, a firmware with knobs activating the screen again should be available next week.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

[...]
Anyway, a firmware with knobs activating the screen again should be available next week.

Thanks MC! Have you considered to add the possibility to set "Source: Auto" with the remote?
The automatic selection of source is a really useful feature. In certain case, I must press "USB" to "force" it, and then I need to go to the unit menu to activate the automatic mode again.
To be able to re-set the automatic mode on the remote would be very useful smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

We will check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC, and RME Team,

Thank You for yet another refinement to the already superb RME Product.   While I wasn't experiencing any problems beforehand, I installed the FW to ensure I WON'T have a problem in the future.   

RMEs committment to Excellence is most Noteworthy!  Viele Dank!

Herzlich Glückwunsch für einen Schön Tag der Deutschen Einheit!!!

Zum Wohl!!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Would be nice. I also do not like screen does not turn on anymore when rotating volume knob and Autodark mode activated. Worked perfectly in previous firmware versions. Cannot wait to have old behaviour restored...

MC wrote:

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Robertm394 wrote:

For example, on the I/O screen when I want to adjust DA filter settings using knob 2, it will not turn on the screen when the knob is turned like it used to.

If the screen was turned on via the encoders then you either saw B/T or Volume screen. If Show Vol Screen is set to Off then the current Top screen (!) will be shown. You seem to think that it should show the DA Filter setting, but that was never the case - the moment the screen goes dark the menu is left and the current Top screen becomes active.

What would work is that you push the I/O button - then you are indeed back to the DA-filter setting. That still works with the current firmware as well.

42 (edited by claudiu.popovici 2019-10-13 10:09:36)

Hi!
I am trying to install the last update for my RME Adi-2 DAC FS, I downloaded the fut_madiface_win.zip on computer, extracted the fut_mfusb3.exe but I cannot succeed to launch it under Windows 10 (as administrator). I tryied on 4 different computers, including one with Windows 7. I turned off the antivirus, but the same result. Can you please help me with that? Thank you!

You need to install the MADIface series driver to do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

claudiu.popovici wrote:

Hi!
I am trying to install the last update for my RME Adi-2 DAC FS, I downloaded the fut_madiface_win.zip on computer, extracted the fut_mfusb3.exe but I cannot succeed to launch it under Windows 10 (as administrator). I tryied on 4 different computers, including one with Windows 7. I turned off the antivirus, but the same result. Can you please help me with that? Thank you!

The manual is your friend, page 11:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nxdq27j47j3cnj/ADI-2%20DAC%20firmware%20upgrade%20needs%20MADIface%20driver.jpg?dl=1

Many thanks! I made it! Exceptional DAC, by the way! smile