1 (edited by MontyPython 2018-03-26 15:17:06)

Topic: Mono Subwoofer in TotalMix FX

Hi. Sorry if this has been addressed. The few obvious threads here didn't make sense to me or pertain to my situation. The manual and YouTube vids were helpful, but I just may not have the experience or get the terminology.

Fireface 802/Total Mix FX 1.40/Mac

I have a third party mono Subwoofer with it's own crossover built in. How can I send my Main stereo mix to it in mono?

How can I link that new subwoofer Mono mix to my Main fader so they move together 'and' can be heard at the same time.

-OR- How can I hear both Main and Speaker B faders at the same time? (though that doesn't help me get my mix to mono, it's at least a start).

Thanks for your time!

Edit: right now I'm literally merging the stereo signal with a "Y" cable to feed the sub from an output that I don't know how to link to the Main fader.

2 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-26 18:49:37)

Re: Mono Subwoofer in TotalMix FX

In Total Mix FX:

1) In "Hardware outputs" choose what single (mono) channel do you want to use to feed the subwoofer. Unclick the "stereo" button in this case.
2) Route your playback stereo channel to that mono out, make sure its balance is set to the center for this particular routing (by default it will be hard left or right).
3) Set the desired level balance for your control room main out and the sub output (in any way you prefer, i.e. on a subwoofer itself, in playback routing or in the hardware out).
4) Group your main out fader and that subwoofer out channel fader using the "Groups" section in the Control Strip.
Done.

Thank you! Is this a pro workflow to change a stereo to a mono signal? Is there phasing or something? I'm assuming the stereo signal is getting combined as opposed to only hearing left of right out of my mono Hardware Output, right? It seems like the only option I have for the gear I want to use, but I am curious.

Thanks again!

4 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-26 19:08:08)

You welcome! Yes, sure, they will be combined, so there is a chance to get some phase cancellation. But there are not many options anyway, as you see - L, R, or mix. There are quite some plugins that convert the lower frequencies of the stereo mix to mono, if it may be useful to you. I forgot their names, you can Google them, I know that the "utility" in Ableton 10 can do it.

Thanks for your time!

Hi All
Additionally, I am using TMFX as a control room application where there are 4 sets of outputs eg
OUT_01: ATC16 + Sub
OUT_02: NS10M + Sub
OUT_03: MMEDIA Stereo Box (no sub)
OUT_04: Aurasphere (mono)

I use an old Kore controller (btw is brilliant for TotalMix) and use the large wheel for volume/main out
I generally use the DIM function for level stepping but sometimes use the large wheel. The issue is that the sub is engaged on 2 of the snapshots and need a simple way of grouping the sub to the main for those 2.

I tried @pianopictures suggestion which is fine for a single eg OUT_01 setting but I can find a block diagram of how all these bits work together in TotalMix. I also tried shift clicking to group the faders but that is not persistent across snapshots.