1 (edited by lorentz 2019-10-07 22:17:09)

Topic: babyface pro - input/output various questions

Hi,
I find the manual overwhelming in the part of the inputs/outputs.
Questions:
1)To switch between line and inst input in inputs 3 and 4, do i have only to manipulate gain giving more gain to instrument input and less to line input?
2) (related to  question 1) ANd what about the high impedance of the inst input? Is it related to gain so i don't have to care?
3) To connect babyface pro to speakers do i have to use xlr to ts cable? In the maunal page 8 says "The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption! " What do i have to do to not connect pin 3?
4) In the same page it says "The Babyface Pro has two analog microphone inputs that can operate as line inputs with levels up to +19 dBu, when set to 0 dB gain and PAD active. The electronic input stage [...] .When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of
the balanced input." If i would like to connect my yamaha synth with unbalanced outputs to one of the 2 two xlr inputs, what do i have to do? use an intermediary passive di box with ground lift?
Thank you

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-07 22:27:47)

Re: babyface pro - input/output various questions

to 1) + 2):  see manual chapter 9.6 ..

Its a multi-purpose input.

"Input channels 3 and 4 are found as TS jacks on the right side of the Babyface Pro. These Hi-Z
universal inputs have an input impedance of 470 kOhm. The input gain is controlled and performed
digitally and limited to 9 dB. An additional hardware-based reference level optimizes the
signal to noise ratio. Choices are +4 dBu and -10 dBV."

Simply try either -10 dBV or +4dBu setting and choose which fits best.
If -10 dBV is maybe tad a bit too low, then you can adjust with a digital gain control giving up to +9dB.

to 3) professional monitors have usually balanced inputs, then simply connected them balanced with
- either XLR to XLR or
- XLR to TRS

to 4) my understanding is ..

Either do what the manual tells you:
"When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected to ground."

Or alternatively a passive DI box should also do the trick if I remember right, because keyboards usually have a quite loud line level, which should not make it necessary to have an active DI box. Additionally a passive DI box give galvanic isolation.

In that regards please cross-check with another person to be on the save side.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

First of all thank you.
Regarding question :
3: ok, i have discovered that my monitors accept balanced input so i can connect using xlr to trs cable.
1+ 2: my doubts here arise because i don’t understand well the difference between impedance and gain.I only know that instruments have the highest imopedence of all possible input devices.So If i have to connect my synth yamaha mx88 to the  babyface pro, do i have to concern about which of the two levels of gain input choose ( by the way,how can i switch between the 2 levels of -10 db and +4 db?can you point out in the manual?) and then rotate the gain knob accordingly and i am ready to go? Do I not have to care about  the 470 kOhm high  impedance which has been designed for instruments and not for a Synth?
4):

to 4) my understanding is ..
Either do what the manual tells you:
"When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected to ground."

I don t know how to do that.Let say i want to connect my mx88 to input 1 .What cable do i have to use?a ts from mx88 to to xlr in input 1 or a ts from mx88 to ts to input 1? but i that case how can i connect pin 3 to the ground?

5) how can i activate pad in both totalmix and in standalone mode?

4 (edited by lorentz 2019-10-13 10:52:28)

Can you answer? I am considering to buy babyface pro. This forum is the only way to know details,rme does not provide a dedicated email for potential customers.