Topic: System Requirements - ADI-2 DAC and Linux

I am thinking about buying ADI-2 DAC and as a Linux user I am curious why there is no information in the manual regarding Linux. There is only sentence "Windows 7 or up, Intel Mac OS X (10.6 or up)". Usually there is no problem to connect any DAC to a Linux machine. There is no problem for me to upgrade firmware on a Windows machine.
Thank you.

Re: System Requirements - ADI-2 DAC and Linux

It runs fine with Linux. Everything works very well, including 32-bits bit test.

Which Linux do you use and which player ?
I tried with a Manjaro and this one failed, didn't run out of the box.

Could you kindly describe the Linux Audio setup what programs are involved ?
Also which Window Manager you use, some come with audio systems of their own.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

any modern standard Linux kernel (provided by for instance, latest Debian, Ubuntu,Fedora) works. Alsa works out of the box. Mpd plays very well.  Other players work as well.

5 (edited by ramses 2019-10-11 15:02:14)

Nope, EDIT: Manjaro is a rolling release as you might know, which means the latest and greatest in terms of kernel and userland.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the answers. I am using Debian Buster on NUC i5BEH, Jriver MC25 with DacMagic Plus without any problem. I have tried other configurations with DacMagic Plus - Daphile, Raspberry players, no proplems at all.
I hope that ADI-2 might be a step up with audio quality.

7 (edited by gaben22 2020-04-19 22:18:43)

Dear everone,

I am also thinking of buying the new ADI-2 DAC fs and I am also a Linux user (Arch linux with Alsa). Could someone help me with the following questions?

• I am using my current DAC (Topping D30) with direct HW "streaming", that is, no SW mixing like dmix... and still the volume control from Linux works. Could someone confirm I can set the volume from Linux if I switched to the new ADI-2 DAC fs?

• I have dedicated speaker and headphone amps, If I am correct, ADI-2 has a DAC only feature, in that case it only does the D/A conversion but no preamplification, does the volume control from Linux still work in this case? How about EQ?

Thanks for the help

There’s no operating system volume control available for ADI-2 Pro/DAC on any platform. Volume always max at 100%

9 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-20 05:02:24)

All these Operating Systems...Mind Blown.
I have to defer to the Forum Experts. 

The ADI-2 DAC itself on the other hand, is a Stellar Achievement.  Don't "consider" buying one...DO IT!!!

Wonderful Unit that will no doubt provide years of Premium Service in virtually any application.

Best to All!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

10 (edited by ning 2020-04-20 06:02:37)

Curt962 wrote:

RME’s products intentionally disable volume control on the OS side.

if you have used it on Windows or Mac you will see the OS volume control gray out. on Linux it is the same.

With that being said your software should able to do soft mix, if you really  need to rely on volume control on your computer.

That design is intentional.  you can do all kinds of control on the device anyway. Also disabling volume control makes DSD over PCM possible — otherwise DOP mark bits would be broken when the volume is not 100%.

I am using an RME ADI2 pro on Ubuntu. Everything is working fine, except that I can only upscale PCM to DSD64 and not higher.
If I try to set it highter then the music is playing not smoothly.

12 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-06 12:26:18)

I can confirm Adi 2 DAC works perfectly under linux.

For bit perfect audio, dsd and such, I use Audacious with exclusive access to alsa, for the rest, internet browsers and such, pulseaudio.

Using kubuntu here, but distro should not matter if you are using a more or less updated kernel.

ning wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

RME’s products intentionally disable volume control on the OS side.

if you have used it on Windows or Mac you will see the OS volume control gray out. on Linux it is the same.

With that being said your software should able to do soft mix, if you really  need to rely on volume control on your computer.

That design is intentional.  you can do all kinds of control on the device anyway. Also disabling volume control makes DSD over PCM possible — otherwise DOP mark bits would be broken when the volume is not 100%.

Hi,
Did anything change with creating ADI Remote ?
It will be super useful to have possibility to control RME volume from Volumio (or any other streamer)