1 (edited by ATelichan 2019-10-14 02:59:40)

Topic: Fireface with 2019 MacBooks

This is a longshot, but has anyone had success with hooking up an old fireface 400 or 800 to the latest MacBook (as of October, 2019), which has only USB-C ports?

I’ve tried using a FireWire 400 to 800 cable, then a FireWire 800 to thunderbolt 2 converter, and finally a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 converter... but no luck.

My friend successfully hooked his old Metric Halo interface to the same computer model, using the same cable configuration, so I thought I’d try with my RMEs. As I said, though - it was not a success.

Open to any suggestions... thanks!

Re: Fireface with 2019 MacBooks

You forgot to use a power supply for the FF400. Else it should have worked like it does for others (as can be read here in the forum).

Or you did not use the latest drivers from our website and had notarization/Privacy blocking problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you - you were correct in assuming that the power supply was the issue.  Everything is operating just fine now.

Hello, I ve got the same problem. But i have adapter. So finally whats your connection??? Fire Wire to thunderbolt 2 and second adapter thunderbolt 2 to USB c?
Or how you connect them finally?
Thank you for answer.

Hello...
So yes - I went from Firewire 400 to 800; then an adapter from FW 800 to Thunderbolt 2; and from there an adapter from Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C (which is the same as Thunderbolt 3).

Also, as the admin mentioned above, made sure I had the latest driver installed... and finally, used the external power source (also make sure that the physical power source switch is flipped to the correct setting on the back).

Thank you. Finally my issue was security permissions of installed rme driver. now its started, hope will works fine. Thanks for answering and clarifying. Wish you wonderful day.