Topic: Really important issue with my UFX+, crackling and pops, why?

Hello,

I'm using UFX+ as an audio interface on my Windows 10 Pro based PC. My PC has following specs: I7-6700 processor, Samsung 950 Pro M2 and 860Evo disk, 32GB ram, latest version of the Reaper as DAW, latest Totalmix and USB driver. All of system drivers are up to date.

When I load at least 2 instance of Komplete kontrol as VST to a blank project, I'm getting serius crackling/pops (audio drop-outs) while playback and/or recording. Working on 44100 HZ with 128 samples. I tried with 256 and 512 samples and got same results. When I set 1024 and above, I can't hear any pops while playing.

Do you have a solution and/or idea?

Thank you so much.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-14 06:39:48)

Re: Really important issue with my UFX+, crackling and pops, why?

Have you been working with this setup for some time or are some of the programs new?
Since when exactly do you have these issues ?

If it occurred from one to the other day, then the question is:
What changed on your system ?

1. Was there a Windows 10 update ?
    What version of Windows 10 do you have now ? 1903 ? Home or Professional ?
    Then a restore of a System backup could help.
    But careful, I do not know how your system is organized, this needs potentially external help.
    Before you restore something you should make another backup of this state.

2. Are you using a different USB3 port ?
    Best are the USB3 ports which come from the mainboards chipset.
    The UFX+ manual, chapter 40.3, contains a list of compatible and incompatible USB chipsets.

3. If you are not yet using MADI, then you could even try to connect the UFX+ to an USB2 ports.
    Then it behaves like a 30 channel interface.

4. Check in the RME settings window, under USB diagnosis, whether you have USB transport errors.
    Maybe caused by a defective USB cable or using the wrong USB port, see #2 before.
    For that you need to keep this window opened while working with the interface.

5. Did you perhaps add some new USB devices to the system ? It can happen, that they impact each other.
    This was the case for me after adding USB Bluetooth devices and an USB3 Hub.
    The solution for me was to get a new USB3 card with supported FL1100 chipset and to isolate the UFX+ behind it.
    This card should have the required FL1100 chipset:
    https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html
    Another advantage: the driver for this card are using a more efficient interrupt mechanism
    called MSI (message signalled interrupts).
    The card is directly supported by Windows 10, but you could also try/use the latest drivers from
    Fresco Logic if there should be issues.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Have you been working with this setup for some time or are some of the programs new?
Since when exactly do you have these issues ?

If it occurred from one to the other day, then the question is:
What changed on your system ?

1. Was there a Windows 10 update ?
    What version of Windows 10 do you have now ? 1903 ? Home or Professional ?
    Then a restore of a System backup could help.
    But careful, I do not know how your system is organized, this needs potentially external help.
    Before you restore something you should make another backup of this state.

2. Are you using a different USB3 port ?
    Best are the USB3 ports which come from the mainboards chipset.
    The UFX+ manual, chapter 40.3, contains a list of compatible and incompatible USB chipsets.

3. If you are not yet using MADI, then you could even try to connect the UFX+ to an USB2 ports.
    Then it behaves like a 30 channel interface.

4. Check in the RME settings window, under USB diagnosis, whether you have USB transport errors.
    Maybe caused by a defective USB cable or using the wrong USB port, see #2 before.
    For that you need to keep this window opened while working with the interface.

5. Did you perhaps add some new USB devices to the system ? It can happen, that they impact each other.
    This was the case for me after adding USB Bluetooth devices and an USB3 Hub.
    The solution for me was to get a new USB3 card with supported FL1100 chipset and to isolate the UFX+ behind it.
    This card should have the required FL1100 chipset:
    https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html
    Another advantage: the driver for this card are using a more efficient interrupt mechanism
    called MSI (message signalled interrupts).
    The card is directly supported by Windows 10, but you could also try/use the latest drivers from
    Fresco Logic if there should be issues.

Hello dear Ramses,

First of all, it is really glad to got a reply from you after a long time.

It was really makes me sad. I'm using latest build of the Windows 10. No, this is not a new setup, I'm using it more than a year. I only added a new SSD drive (Samsung 860Evo) to the system recently. Not sure changed USB port, will check it today.
I have updated UFX+ with latest firmware and driver last week; but didn't install any new DAW and/or app that related music production.

It is really bad to get above result with this powered system...

Important is when the changes occurred exactly, to be able to isolate the root cause.

Can you map this day to a certain activity when something on your system changed ?
Be it a HW change or Windows Update ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Important is when the changes occurred exactly, to be able to isolate the root cause.

Can you map this day to a certain activity when something on your system changed ?
Be it a HW change or Windows Update ...

Unfortunately, I think they was the same day. I've installed HDD and run the computer for data migration. After a restart, Windows installed a new update while booting.

I will reformat the machine after try some senarios. Firstly, I have to disconnect the device and remove latest windows update. Hope that it will solv the issue.

Thanks again for your answer, I'll let you know for the result.

Hello,

We looked to the system and noticed that issue occurs on Reaper while using Komplete Kontrol. It seems that there ıs no problem wıth RME card, sorry...

Nice that you found it.