Topic: TotalMix Levels and Analog Recording?

Since TotalMix reflects an apparent additional gain staging between analog input and digital recording in a DAW, I am a little confused about proper gain staging and TotalMix meter usage.

My understanding is that analog input is recorded ideally at a dbFS of around -18 to -15 RMS.

The usual advice is to set your DAW input meters accordingly for recording.

What puzzles me is what I should do with TotalMix.

First, I don't understand if TotalMix  meters are peak or RMS ... or if there is a setting to change between them.

Second, I don't understand whether I should (A) leave the TotalMix input faders set at 0 dbFS and adjust the analog input to not clip in the TotalMix meters; or, (B) I should adjust the analog input to be hitting closer to the -15 dbFS on the TotalMix meters.

Finally, I am unclear if I use (B) how or if that affects the read outs on my DAW input meters.

I would greatly appreciate clarification on these issues.

Thank you.

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8

Re: TotalMix Levels and Analog Recording?

Since TotalMix reflects an apparent additional gain staging between analog input and digital recording in a DAW

No, it doesn't. The meter in TotalMix reflects what is going to the DAW, but the fader controls input monitoring level (directly routed to an output channel).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by bienpegaito 2013-10-23 19:35:39)

Jeff wrote:

Since TotalMix reflects an apparent additional gain staging between analog input and digital recording in a DAW

No, it doesn't. The meter in TotalMix reflects what is going to the DAW, but the fader controls input monitoring level (directly routed to an output channel).

Thanks, Jeff.

OK ... but I don't think I made myself clear.  Forget about the TotalMix faders ... just consider the TotalMix input meter readouts, i.e., adjust the input level to 0 dbFS or to -18 dbFS?

1. Are these peak or RMS?

2. Since I can adjust the analog input on my mic preamps or synth outs, what is best practice to use the meters read outs.

3. Are you saying, for example, that (depending on the peak or rms question) if the TotalMix input reads out -18 dbFS and my DAW input meter fader are set to 0dbFS, that the DAW will also read out -18 dbFS?

Thank you.

bienpegaito wrote:

My understanding is that analog input is recorded ideally at a dbFS of around -18 to -15 RMS.

There is no such rule, necessity, or even general recommendation.

First, I don't understand if TotalMix  meters are peak or RMS ... or if there is a setting to change between them.

There is a setting.

Second, I don't understand whether I should (A) leave the TotalMix input faders set at 0 dbFS and adjust the analog input to not clip in the TotalMix meters; or, (B) I should adjust the analog input to be hitting closer to the -15 dbFS on the TotalMix meters.

The faders have no influence on input level, they control monitoring only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
bienpegaito wrote:

There is no such rule, necessity, or even general recommendation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I think you must be responding to my first post, also answered by Jeff @ Synthax. I'm not asking about the faders.

Also, your comment about no general recommendation for 'translating' analog 0 db to dbFS is certainly different from what I have read. Below is an excerpt from the Sony Final Cut manual. I could find many more such recommendations if you would like me to.

"Tone on analog media formats is usually set to 0 dB (analog). You need to choose an equivalent digital level on the Final Cut Pro audio meters. The level you choose is dependent on the bit depth you are using to capture your audio, as well as how much dynamic range your audio has:

16-bit audio: Typically, you should set a 0 dB analog tone to equal –12 dBFS digital.
    20- or 24-bit audio: You should set a 0 dB analog tone to equal –18 or –20 dBFS.
    Figure. Diagram showing setting a zero dB analog tone to equal minus twelve, minus eighteen, or minus twenty dBFS."

Also, a 'sticky' post from Gearslutz ... meaning that the engineers there find this post to be of importance.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- … tored.html

Thank you.

Indeed you did ask about the faders, and I pointed out that they have no influence on incoming signal level...

The reason quoted for limiting digital levels is to avoid overloading DAW plugins (with levels beyond 0 dBFS) by leaving a certain headroom, it has nothing to do with any aspect of  ensuing "audio quality" or the like. If one avoids clipping, a signal recorded up to almost digital full scale is not one little bit (pun intended) than one limited to -15 or whatever.

I personally see no reason to apply the reduction in level in a destructive way, i.e. by actually limiting the recorded signal's resolution. Given that most plugins would be applied non-destructively, any potential overload can be avoided non-destructively by way of Send levels or channel faders.

Of course, you are free to follow any such suggestions as you please. For this, set your metering to RMS and adjust your external source signal accordingly. There is no way to adjust input levels of line inputs, besides the +4/-10 level reference setting for line in or gain control for mic inputs.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I may lack the technical expertise to ask the question I'd like answered. I believe your advice is to leave total mix at 0 dBFS and attenuate the analog source if TotalMix shows clipping.

Also, is it correct that if both TotalMix and the DAW are set to 0 dBFS, they will show the identical reading?

RME Support wrote:

Indeed you did ask about the faders, and I pointed out that they have no influence on incoming signal level...
RME

Again, I think you misread me. Yes, I did say that initially, but in my second post I asked about the meter read outs disregarding the faders. You responded to my first post.

RME Support wrote:

Of course, you are free to follow any such suggestions as you please. For this, set your metering to RMS and adjust your external source signal accordingly. There is no way to adjust input levels of line inputs, besides the +4/-10 level reference setting for line in or gain control for mic inputs.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have a large synth and sound module bank, so all of those also have volume controls on their analog outputs.

Thanks again for your prompt help!

bienpegaito wrote:

I may lack the technical expertise to ask the question I'd like answered. I believe your advice is to leave total mix at 0 dBFS and attenuate the analog source if TotalMix shows clipping.

Whether or not you leave TM at 0 dB has no influence whatsoever on incoming and recordd levels. Indeed the only way to attenuate signal (besides the level reference option in the settings dialog) is at the source.

Also, is it correct that if both TotalMix and the DAW are set to 0 dBFS, they will show the identical reading?

Neither have any relevant setting here. Whether or not identical levels are shown depends on the RME/Peak choice of display characteristics.

Again, I think you misread me. Yes, I did say that initially, but in my second post I asked about the meter read outs disregarding the faders. You responded to my first post.

I did so because you apparently had and still seem to have certain misconceptions about what the faders can and will do.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Whether or not you leave TM at 0 dB has no influence whatsoever on incoming and recordd levels. Indeed the only way to attenuate signal (besides the level reference option in the settings dialog) is at the source.

Neither have any relevant setting here. Whether or not identical levels are shown depends on the RME/Peak choice of display characteristics.

I did so because you apparently had and still seem to have certain misconceptions about what the faders can and will do.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Let me ask a different way, please.

Assuming TM metering is set to RMS and that I can adjust each input at the source, I would just like to know if (and how) I can use TM metering to set each input to reach my DAW at around -20 dBFS RMS.

I thought I was on the right track when I asked about having the fader set to 0, but you said that was irrelevant. Was that only because I didn't specify having them both set to the same meter characteristics? Or some other reason?

Since you perceive that I have misconceptions as to how the TM faders work, would you help me understand? Perhaps a reference to where it is documented in the manual. I have read it, but apparently this important concept did not sink in.

Thank you.

bienpegaito wrote:

Assuming TM metering is set to RMS and that I can adjust each input at the source, I would just like to know if (and how) I can use TM metering to set each input to reach my DAW at around -20 dBFS RMS.

Yes, if you find that desirable. TM metering will show you exactly what is going to the DAW.

I thought I was on the right track when I asked about having the fader set to 0, but you said that was irrelevant. Was that only because I didn't specify having them both set to the same meter characteristics? Or some other reason?

Meters and faders are separate. The reason is that the fader does not have any influence on input levels.

Since you perceive that I have misconceptions as to how the TM faders work, would you help me understand? Perhaps a reference to where it is documented in the manual. I have read it, but apparently this important concept did not sink in.

I have clarified this previously and again right above. The fader controls monitoring levels, not input levels (i.e. what goes to the DAW).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I would like to add that the manual clearly explains this, and also shows where to switch from Peak to RMS.

If you like to record at -15 or -18 you can use DIGICheck and set the meters in there accordingly. It even includes templates (k-system) with such values.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you all for your help.

I think it has sunk in ... now if it will only stay there.

Hello!
I bought the FF 802 and I'd like to know if it is possibile in TotalMix to save and to know the gain level of the mic input XLR (input 9-12).
Many thanks

Not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for your help.
This makes no sense. Do you have any idea if in a future release this will be possible?
Thanks

No, because the gain control is analog, not digital as on the UFX.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

Old topic but it might be usefull, I guess.
I guess what Pegaito meant by leveling between -18 and -15 dBFS is matching the average level at +4dBu. Some people don't see the necessity... +4 dBu = 1.23 volts, which is optimum level if you use some external effect. Also it's usefull for plugin to work correctly. Not too low, not too high.

Tell me if I'm wrong. The UFX+ for example has for maximum mic input level (gain 0 dB) : +18 dBu.
0 dbfs (the maximum) = +18 dBu. So +4 dBu = -14 dbfs. (18-4)
As the dynamic range of a kick drum reach -14, -16 dbfs, it seems quite tight?

Also you migth be aware of this if you send your work to someone using another device, which have different dynamic range (from +4 dBu to 0 dbfs).

In my experience, the informations Pegaito was sharing come from the video word where we have to take care of the audio level in a different way. I was typically the informations you need to had in mind when you was mixing for any DVD, TV program, Cinema or Radio years ago. Very different from mixing a recording session for a CD release.

Bertrand Allaume